View Single Post
Old Friday, September 13, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabahatbhutta View Post
Mr. Bhutto had been the Civilian president who was powerful at the same time. Although for shorter period but unfortunately he was hanged when he was a PM. Our history is full of such incidents in which a person when handed over his powers, got punished for it. It was indeed commendable on his part to show bravery. It was not a compulsion on him but he did, keeping in mind his responsibility, which is appreciable.

I agree comparison of two politicians with distant traits is unfair. Both possess significant and distinct places.
Mr Bhutto, a rare exception, but you forgot one thing, he was a civilian president but under a constitution which was framed by an Army President i-e Ayub Khan, and he could not continue being a strong civilian president because he was a civilian, and he had to go back to being a prime minister. Dear this is very evident that in this country a president cannot remain a powerful entity unless he is a serving army man.

Zardari sb could not keep his powers with himself and had no choice but give up them to the parliament as a civilian president he could not remain powerful in a parliamentary democracy.

He was the representative of all four provinces so he had no choice but being neutral, he could not play his role being a partisan, so his silence was a compulsion than a choice.

I won't credit him for a democratic shift as well, this democratic transition must be credited to the PML (N) which played its role as oppostion in strengthening democracy, and equally great role is played by the Army, which tolerated everything that caused the coups before.

So no really a great achievement or history was made by MR Zardari, yes perhaps they made a history of bad governance, mismanagement and corruption as well as nepotism.

P.S: I do not take into account the inflation or any other thing in their bad performance because mostly that was out of their control, the inflation is determined by a proper market mechanism, so I am not considering any economic or development parameter in that regard. BUT they are responsible for corruption, they could have stymied that menace, they could have done something about the Railways, PIA and steel mills but they let the situation exacerbate, at least they must have shown some willingness in that regard. I conclude here with these remarks. Apologies to the PPP fans or any other well wisher of Ex President Zardari.

Stay Blessed.