View Single Post
Old Thursday, September 19, 2013
42nd CTP (PSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 62

umarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalali View Post
Can anyone please guide me how to write effective précis?
I don't have idea about it... whenever I start writing short paragraph it mostly confuse me what to add?
Please share your ideas and tricks..
I would be your thankful
Well, for precise here are the do's and don'ts:

(1) Always give a title in the end (whether asked or not. It is asked in the CSS exams though)
(2) Only 1/3 and not more
(3) Don't quote the examples.
(4) Don't quote the dates
(5) Say no to 1st Person narratives
(6) It is to be in a single paragraph

The tricks are:
(1) let us assume there are 50 sentences there in the passage.
(2) leave 1st sentence, omit the 2nd one (on the question paper), leave 3rd and omit 4th and so on.
(3) You are left with half the passage
(4) change voices: Direct to indirect and indirect to direct and combine 2 sentences each and exchange the difficult words with simple words

And there you have a captivating Precise. It works! although the bookish suggestion is to go through the precise a gazillion times so that you grasp the idea and then re-write that in your own words (I never followed that myself)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to umarabbas For This Useful Post:
Engrnasirsattar (Sunday, October 20, 2013), Insaf Sindhu (Thursday, September 19, 2013), komalali (Friday, September 20, 2013), MINUSoptimist (Thursday, September 19, 2013)