View Single Post
Old Thursday, August 30, 2007
38th CTP (PAAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 531

secondopinion02 will become famous soon enough
Default no yur ingleish

KNOW YOUR ENGLISH

"I KNOW that Dilip was well prepared. But when he saw the Chairman sitting in the front row, he went totally blank. The poor guy forgot what he was going to say."
"That happens to a lot of people. What did Dilip do? I mean, how did he...."
"....he winged it. That was the only...."
"....what do you mean he winged it! You mean to say he ran away?"
"Nobody runs away from a presentation. If Dilip had run away, he would have lost his job. When you say that somebody `winged it' what you are saying is that the person improvised. He made things up as he went along; he...."
"....why does it always have to be a `he'? It could be a `she'. She does or says something spontaneously. Without any preparation."
"That's right. You stand up and say something even though you are not prepared."
"Like some of the speeches that our not so respected politicians make?"
"Exactly! Most of our politicians just wing it."
"Hey, how about this example? When I told my teacher that I wasn't really prepared for the debate, he told me to just go out there and wing it."
"That's a very good example. Here's another one. The tall man in jeans who came for the audition this afternoon didn't know his lines. So he just winged it. But to everyone's surprise he got the part."
"Some people have all the luck. Does this example sound OK? The speaker had misplaced his notes. He had no option but to wing it."
"Sounds great!"
"So tell me, was the Chairman angry with Dilip?"
"He didn't say anything. But my boss was really angry. He went ballistic."
"Went ballistic? Doesn't the expression mean to become extremely angry?"
"Exactly! The teacher went ballistic when the student didn't turn in her assignment."
"My father went ballistic when my sister broke the new table lamp."
"Any way, as I was saying, my boss went ballistic. He has given Dilip his walking papers. He has asked...."
"....his walking papers? What are you talking about?"
"When a company gives you your `walking papers', it means that you have been sacked. Or `fired', as the Americans would put it."
"You mean that poor Dilip has lost his job?"
"That's right. He has been asked to leave."
"But that's terrible."
"I know. He is going to be joining the ranks of the unemployed pretty soon."
"The poor guy shouldn't have made the presentation. He should have just run away."
"You may be right."
"Walking papers. I have never come across that expression before."
"It is considered slang, but it's used quite often by native speakers in informal contexts. For example, I can say, our company is downsizing. I hope I am not given my walking papers. I need this job to help repay some of my debts."
"How about this example? When Ashok was given his walking papers, he looked at his boss and laughed."
"He can afford to. His wife has a really fantastic job. And with his qualifications and the contacts that his wife has, Ashok can get a job anywhere."
"How about Dilip? How did he react?"
"Dilip! The poor guy is in a funk."
"In a funk? What a strange expression!"
"When you say that you are in a funk, it implies that..."
"...I can guess the meaning. It probably means that you are feeling depressed. It probably means the same thing as `feeling blue'."
"My! You're in excellent form today. That's exactly what it means. Arun has been in a funk ever since he came to know that the Indian cricket team had lost the match."
"He's in a funk because our cricket team lost? That's really crazy. Well, all I can say is poor Arun is going to be in a funk most of the time because our overpaid underachievers always lose."
"Except when they play in India of course."
"That's true. By the way, it is also possible to say `in a blue funk'. For example, I can say, Sushila has been in such a blue funk that she refuses to even step out of the house."
"Padma has taken a couple of weeks off from work to come out of her blue funk."
"Poor Dilip. I hope he gets a job soon. I can't imagine him being in a funk actually. You see, he always seems so happy, so relaxed. As if nothing can bother him."
"That's true. He gives the impression that he is pretty laid back. But he ..."
".... laid back. Does it mean someone who is usually calm and relaxed?"
"That's right. When you say that someone is laid back what you are implying is that the individual gives the impression that he is calm and relaxed. That nothing ever worries him. I have been told by many people that I am pretty laid back."
"You are laid back, if you ask me."
"Who is asking you? I am anything but laid back. I get worked up about a lot of things. My only problem is that I don't ....
"...relax, will you? I was just kidding. I know that you get upset when things don't work out. As for me, I am pretty laid back about a lot of things."
"You can afford to be because you are still a student. But if your boss gets the impression that you are laid back, then I can assure you....
"... I'll probably get my walking papers."
"Absolutely right."
"But I will tell you one thing though. I'll never let anything worry me. I'll never..."
"...that's what they all say."
"I confess that I cannot understand how we can plot, lie, cheat and commit murder abroad and remain humane, honorable, trustworthy and trusted at home." — Archibald Cox talking about America

S. UPENDRAN
Lo! man is in a state of loss. (Al-Asr:103:2) And every small and great thing is recorded. (Al-Qamar:54:53) And guard yourselves against a day in which ye will be brought back to Allah. Then every soul will be paid in full that which it hath earned, and they will not be wronged. (Al-Baqara:2:281)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to secondopinion02 For This Useful Post:
Nonchalant (Saturday, October 27, 2007), Cosmic_libertine (Wednesday, July 15, 2009), Deviant (Tuesday, October 23, 2007), gullehina (Sunday, November 11, 2007), H.A.S.H.M.I (Tuesday, September 11, 2007), hanna (Monday, July 07, 2008), liaqataliqureshi (Wednesday, April 02, 2008)