View Single Post
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fatima47 has a spectacular aura aboutFatima47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
The analytical Part was tough, Does any one gave the correct answer of

One more Question if a work is done by some men in 60 days, how many days will be taken if more 10 more men are added?
I think the question was like, if a certain work is done by some men in 60 days and if ten more men are used, it can be done in 50 days then what is the number of men that worked (aint sure if we were asked to calculate no. of men doing work in 50 days or no. of men doing it in 60 days but I guess here is how it goes:

Men↑ Days↓

Let initial number of men be x and fill these two columns

Men Days
10+x 50

Multiply x with 60, and 10+x with 50

60x = 50 (10+x)
60x = 500+ 50x
10x = 500
x= 50 ( no. of men doing work in 60 days)

50+10= 60 (no. of men working in 50 days)

Its a question related to inverse proportion (as indicated by the two arrow heads pointing in opposite direction). Since the two factors here are inversally proportional so I multiplied quantities in two columns in this way (I mean straight/ head-on). Had the two factors been directly proportional, I would have cross-multiplied the terms in two columns. I hope it makes sense.

PS: Since I am not a mathematics pundit so it would be nice to if somene could confirm it.