View Single Post
Old Monday, October 21, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh87 View Post
Just a confirmation. Isn't the usage of as long as inappropriate in the sentence and shouldn't it be - "Brother that's a very altruistic initiative on your part and AS you are discussing Errors and their reasons, I would also like to contribute."
My dear friend I have used as long as correctly...See following Justification:

As is used as a conjunction when something else is happening and some other things is also going on in parallel BUT both are related to each other or say both are contingent on each other in some respect, see following examples:

I watched TV as she was getting ready. (Means that they both have to go together but as long as she gets ready, the partner does something else)

I made tea as she baked the cake. (Means they are going to take tea and cake together, one is making tea while other is baking cake)

As long as is basically a conditional, means it says that a certain things happens as another thing is happening or happens and former is happening because the latter happened, see following examples:

As long as you are discussing horror stories, I would like to share my experience at white castle too. (Now see, he is sharing his experience because horror stories were being discussed, he won't have shared his experience if no such stories had been discussed)

As long as you are discussing grammar rules, I would also like to contribute. (Now this is the perfect example of that structure dear, We can also write this sentence as "If you are discussing grammar rules, I would also like to contribute") It means both structures can replace each other, so my structure is aptly used.

So brother you can see that As long as is literally a conditional, so I have aptly used that there. I hope you will get the point.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Bilal Hassan For This Useful Post:
kaneezfatimasahar (Thursday, March 27, 2014)