View Single Post
Old Wednesday, October 30, 2013
41st CTP (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 39

JS1325 will become famous soon enough

For Geography:

Paper 1:

Strahler and Chaudhary Iftikhar's Book for Phy geography, even the latter alone will suffice

Paper 2:

You will have to consult multiple resources, for different portions of Geo 2. There's no 1 book alternative for Geo 2, at least I do not know of any. But recently there's been a publication by Jahangir publishers, a very comprehensive book by Imran Bashir . I have been through it and I was very impressed, it's an amazing effort. For those who do not have the luxury of time, go with that book. For those who can spend around 35-40 days on Geog, must buy this book and merge it with the following resources.

Grab Deblij's book on human geography to grasp the fundamentals. It is not much detailed though. So you will have to make extensive use of internet, especially for Human and Economic Geography, to make detailed outlines

For economic geography, there is a book on World's Economic Geography for A Levels by Fazle Karim Khan. It's quite detailed. Apart from that there's a book on economic geography by Nazir Ahmed Khalid as well. Both are good, Karim Khan is slightly better though.

For Regional Geography, I consulted internet for getting basic info and statistics of neighboring countries, used Fazle KArim Khan's "Pakistan: Geography, Economy and People" and Dawn helped a lot as well.

Paper 2 is now more like a current affairs paper. So extensive knowledge of current affairs is imperative as well

In Paper 1, you can skip "Maps". There'll be 3 to 3.5 questions, at least, from "LANDFORMS" Portion, around 1.5 to 2 questions from "Atmosphere and Climate" portion, and around 1 question from "OCeans". 1 question might be there from "Maps" but you can skip that. All in all, paper 1 is doable in around 10-12 days (Fast track approach)

For paper 2, the syllabus is quite lengthy, rather undefined, for me. So make sure that your written expression is really good so that you can compensate for any lackings in facts, knowledge and statistics etc. Paper 2, being very general, should not take more than 10 days (keeping in view 2014's looming exams).

Make lots of diagrams, you must know how to draw world map, various continents, tables, pie charts, graphs, any illustration you can be will be an added advantage.

Best of luck.