View Single Post
Old Monday, December 09, 2013

pakistan10 is on a distinguished road
Default Reason why Pak Eng Newspapers have Difficult English?

Dear members.

I am fond of reading of reading newspapers every day of not only Pakistan but also other major international news papers. Specially Washington Post, LA Times,Herald, Financial Times UK and The Guardian. I also read Pakistani news paper like DAWN and THE NEWS and some times THE FRONTIER POST.

I have noticed rather strange thing. The countries whose first language is English use very easy English in their newspapers and I rarely open a dictionary to find out a meaning of a word when I read UK or USA news papers. However when I read DAWN or THE NEWS, most of the time I am only looking at dictionary. What is the reason of that ? The situation should have been opposite where UK and USA using difficult English in their news paper as their first language is English and Pak news papers using Easy English as its not their first Language.

Are Pakistani English news paper only written for those with strong English or is it the mindset of our society that we want to show our skills and quality to other people and show them that you are not better then us?

If Dawn is writing an English Newspaper, or the people who are writing articles and opinions in Dawn or The News, do they want to show to people that we have a very strong English? And this is sadly a typical mindset in our society. Everyone wants to show to others that they are better then you from individuals to institutions etc.

Those who disagree with me straightaway, I will recommend them to first read a foreign English Newspaper once and compare with our's. I personally thing news paper is something in which you should write in a way where vast majority of people can understand rather then showing your English vocabulary and giving an impression that 'I am better then you'. Vocabulary is something which can be learnt from dictionary by anyone who makes an effort, however newspaper has other purposes.

In this regard I think we should learn something from Western English Newspapers because despite of English being their first Language they always use very simple easy English which can be easily understood and saves you alot of time and fulfills the purpose of newspaper which is to Educate the reader in short time about what is happening around the world.

Seniors what do you say about this ? Those who have passed CSS must have definitely read international news paper during their preparation and will probably agree with me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pakistan10 For This Useful Post:
ammar0543 (Thursday, December 19, 2013), Insaf Sindhu (Wednesday, December 18, 2013), seher bano (Friday, December 20, 2013)