View Single Post
Old Tuesday, December 10, 2013

night hawk is on a distinguished road

Respected seniors,

Thank you for your sympathies with all of us who failed to qualify for this exam. I also failed in essay paper but, that was not as shocking for me. What was shocking to see was getting high marks in subjects I wasn't confident to pass and getting low marks in subjects that I prepared well. Changes in evaluation criteria and marking scheme are common among all competitive exams, but there are many things that remain questionable about the CSS 2013 results. I would like to ask my seniors so that they may explain these aberrations to me and other candidates. I hope you would trust me for what I am going to reveal here.

I had studied Islamiat in O levels (2002) and since then, I never touched this subject. I just studied 4 chapters from Farkhanda Noor's book Islamiat for CSS and attempted the paper in my own way(what I thought of Islam & Islamic principles/practices) without quoting a single hadith/ayat or book/author. I was awarded 61 marks. I wonder how & why?

I received 54 marks in Pakistan Affairs despite the fact that I didn't study any book/article from post-Khilafat movement till Musharraf regime in 4 months of my preparation. Khair, my good luck !

Now the most surprising results are as follows :

Islamic History part I 59
Islamic History part II 44 (Keep it in mind that I consulted the same resources for both parts (Professor Hitti, Armstrong, BBC history + Documentaries) and attempted in the same way
I would still accept these results. But, it was shocking for me to see my friend getting a low score (58,48) despite his past track record of getting higher scores(65, 68 & 69, 67) in his previous two attempts. Neither Islamic history has changed in one year nor the question paper pattern has been altered. ??

Now the last subject that I want to mention here is Balochi which is my native language as well. I got 52 in Balochi but that was not surprising for me. What was really surprising was that my respected friend who had scored 75 and 80 in previous two attempts, scored 56. I wonder if his Balochi has changed in one year or he lost his mind in his third/last attempt??

Same was the case with students of Journalism who received very low scores like 33, 37, 38 despite getting over 50 marsks in previous attempts. Would anyone argue that they received marks by cramming market books ? Similarly, it was even more shocking to see students with a background in journalism getting low (not average) marks.

I will be thankful to all of you if you explain the above mentioned 'anomalies'.

P.S I congratulate all those who passed in CSS 2013. They all worked hard and 'luckily' crossed all the 'barriers' set by evaluators. I do not see any conspiracy behind failure of candidates. In my view, the parochial approach of FPSC to save face after the Faisalabad debacle was the main reason for the low and unexpected result. Our seniors should do a hollistic analysis by viewing some of the the empirical evidence(subject wise scores) from all those who failed to qualify CSS 2013 examinations. Or atleast they should interview 3-4 candidates from different regions/centres before giving their such superficial opinions.

" If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. "
Rene Descartes
The Following User Says Thank You to night hawk For This Useful Post:
gintino (Friday, January 27, 2017)