View Single Post
Old Thursday, December 12, 2013

mhamzas is on a distinguished road
Default NTS GAT General New Syllabus and Pattern

A new category D has been added for students from madrassa background. Meanwhile the pattern has also changed. Visit NTS website for details.

I am appearing for the test in January and am having difficulty understanding the syllabus & type of questions. NTS has not provided any sample papers and their call centre is not helpful in this matter as well. They seem to be not bothered by the fact that the student’s admission relies on this test and fail to provide sufficient information and material to help the student prepare for the exam. Anyhow, here is my analysis of the new pattern:

Part I Verbal Reasoning:
Vocabulary: analogies and antonyms are ok but I have no clue how they will ask suffixes, prefixes and conceptual questions (Maybe synonyms & sentence completion)
Grammar: basic review of grammar should be able cover this section.
Reading Comprehension: Review from previous GAT books should be sufficient.

Part II Quantitative Reasoning:
This section seems to have been drastically changed and looks harder than before (even harder than GRE). I do not know if there will be quantitative comparison questions in this section now.

Part III Analytical Reasoning:
They seemed to have copied the syllabus of the new GRE in this section. But the main problem is that the new GRE analytical section is written, while GAT’s will be MCQs. I am confused as to how the questions will be asked in the exam and by the line ‘Critical thinking and writing skills’ in the syllabus. How can writing skills be tested in MCQs as they require the student to ‘write’. Either NTS has made a mistake in the syllabus or they have 'invented a new way to test writing skills'.

Any input regarding the test pattern and how to prepare for it will be highly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhamzas For This Useful Post:
faaizaa (Friday, December 20, 2013)