View Single Post
Old Friday, December 20, 2013
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2018 - Roll no. 21486

ammar0543 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakistan10 View Post
And yes, indeed they are able to make that impression successfully in minds of many people. When I started reading Dawn for the first time I was so impressed by their English. But when I started reading USA and UK newspapers and articles in their newspapers, I asked my self a question, why are they not trying to make their impression? Its because English is the first language of people here, so there is no point showing to people that you have a better English as people will give a damn about it and are not impressed by your level of English. We in South Asia specially India and Pakistan are very much impressed by English. You must have noticed people giving that extra attention to those having good command over English. People here are obsessed with English not their national language and probably that's the reason why our local English Newspapers and writers use such level of English where they are successful to give a impression to people that 'We are better then you, we have strong English' but does not fulfill the full purpose of a Newspaper.
Unfortunately you are very much right. Although I am not senior enough to fully cover whole of the aspects involved in this misfortune of our society but I will try to put my opinion, right or wrong, here.
What I think is that our very first relation with English as a language was when East India Company started flourishing in Subcontinent and, of course, at that time the west was advancing in every field of human life and they made astonishing discoveries and strange inventions etc. All this was leaving the same impression on the rest of the world as was left by the supremacy of Muslims during their climax. Under such impression of inferiority complex every region adopted the languages of their new sophisticated rulers as we can see the usage of French language in previous French colonies of Africa.

Now as long as the rulers kept ruling the colonies, their language kept on evolving along with them. But as soon as they left, the evolution of language stopped although this evolution continued in the regions of which it was regional language. With stop of that evolution we are still conveying that old styled and traditional vocabulary which we inherited from old English people. But on the other hand our own regional language is still evolving in simpler and simpler form at the same land among same people.
And yes no doubt this is all due to our inferiority complex and our spoiled system where we ourselves place that person on height of respect who can use different vocabulary.