Old Sunday, December 22, 2013

nickfury is on a distinguished road

CSS 2002 Part II

1. The battle of tours was fought in?
Answer: France, Europe, 732

Note: The battle of Tours was fought in? CSS 2000
Did the moors enter France? CSS 2001

Quote:
Battle of the Tours was fought in France, Europe in 732 between the Christian Franks and the Umayyad army under Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi. The Franks won the battle. The battle of the Tours stopped the wave of Islam from further penetrating into Europe.
2. Which fiqah spread in Muslim Spain?
Answer: Maliki

Note: The dominant Fiqh in Muslim Spain throughout history was? CSS 2000
Quote:
The Maliki School spread to Spain and was the only official School sanctioned by the Umayyad dynasty in Cordoba.
3. Which Muslim Spanish ruler was known as “the bibliophile”?
Answer: al-Hakam II

Quote:
Bibliophile means, lover or collector of books. Al-Hakam is called the bibliophile because he was a great patron of knowledge and learning. He purchased books from Damascus, Baghdad, Constantinople, Cairo, Makkah, Medinah, Kufa,and Basra. His status as a patron of Knowledge brought him fame across the Muslim world to the point where even books written in Iraq under Abbasid control were dedicated to him. He created a royal library and stimulated scholarship. For his love of books and a great patron of learning and knowledge, he was known was The Bibliophile.
4. Al-Ihatah fi Tarikh Gharnata, was written by?
Answer: Ibn al-Khatib.

5. Who introduced the doctorine of etiology of decline, Assabiah?
Answer: Ibn Khaldun

Note: Ibn Khaldun was a? CSS 2001
What is the name of the book written by Ibn Khaldun? CSS 2001

Quote:
Ibn Khaldun was an Arab historian and historiographer. His best known book is The Muqaddimah, a book on universal history i.e philosophy of history, sociology, demography, historiography, cultural history, economics, Islamic theology, political theory, biology and chemistery. The book was written in 1377. In the Muqaddimah he describes the Assabiyah.

6. Mountain range in South West Europe between France and Spain is called?
Answer: Pyrenees

Note: See Question 14
Quote:
The Pyrenees is probably important in Islamic History because of the Battle of Roncesvalles (Question 14 CSS 2002).
7. The Spanish Muslim scholars were expert in philology. Philology means?
Answer:
Quote:
Philology is the study of literary texts and of written records, the establishment of their authenticity and their original form, and the determination of their meaning, which the Muslims were expert of. During the reign of al-Hakam II (The Bibliophile), a massive translation effort was undertaken, and many books were translated from Latin and Greek into Arabic.
8. A History of Mediaeval Islam, was written by?
Answer: John Joseph Saunders
Note: This is asked in CSS 2003

9. Spanish Islam was written by?
I have searched for this book but I couldn’t find the book or the author of a book by that name anywhere on the internet. If anyone does please share the source.

10. Who built the city of Al-Hamra?
Answer: Muhammad ibn al-Ahmar

Quote:
It’s called al-Hamra (The Red) in Arabic, in Spanish and now it’s known as The Al Hambra. The Al-Hambra is a palace and a fortress complex in Granada, Spain. It is a wonder of Muslim architecture. Ibn al-Ahmar was the founder of the last Muslim dynasty in Spain, the Nasirids. It was during their time that the Al-Hambra was built. The Al-Hambra is the most visible evidence of the Nasrids Kingdom.
11. Surrender of Granada took place in?
Answer: 1492
Note: Nasrid Kingdom ruled Granada during? CSS 2000
The Moors vacated Spain in? CSS 2001

Quote:
Nasrid was the last Muslim dynasty of Spain founded by Muhammad Ibn Nasir also known as Ibn Al-Ahmar, in 1238. In 1492 they surrendered to the Christian Spanish army. The Moors invaded Spain in 711 under the General Tariq ibn Ziyad. They ruled Spain for 780 years until the fall of Garnada in 1492 which brought an end to the Muslim control of Spain.

The Nasrid Kingdom of Garnada was the last Muslim dynasty in Spain. The re-conquest of al-Andalus from the Muslims by Christians is referred to as The Reconquista by the Spanish. The last Nasrid ruler was Abu Abdullah Muhammad XIII. The Spanish call him Boabdil (Spanish for Abu Abdullah).

12. Ibn al Ahmar assumed the title of?
Answer: The Founder of the Nasrid Dynasty

Quote:
Ibn al-Ahmar is Mohammad I ibn Nasr. He assumed the title of the founder of the last Muslim dynasty of Spain, The Nasrids, in 1238.
13. Futuh ul Buldan was written by?
Answer: al-Baladhuri

Quote:
Ahmad ibn yahya al-Baladhuri was a Persian historian. Kitab Futuh al-Buldan means The Book of the Conquests of Lands. The book is about the early conquests of the Prophet SAW and the early Caliphs.
14. Batttle of Roncesvalles was fought between Charlemagne and?
Answer: Basques

Note: Mountain range in South West Europe between France and Spain is called? CSS 2002
Quote:
The Battle of was fought in 778 between Charlemagne’s forces and the Basques. Sulayman ibn Yaqzan became the governor of Barcelona in 777. He was pro-Abbasid and was threatened by Abdul Rahman I, the Umayyad emir of Cordoba. Sulayman sent a delegation to Charlemagne, offering his submission together with Husayn of Zaragoza in return for military aid against Abdul Rahman I.

Charlemagne sent his forces which marched across the Pyrenees towards Zaragoza. Husayn however, refused to surrender the city, afraid that Charlemagne would usurp power from him. Charlemagne laid siege to the city for a month but decided to return to his kingdom, taking some of the hostages from his Muslim allies including Sulayman.

On his retreat, his forces headed to France via a narrow pass in the Pyrenees, where his rearguard was wiped out by the Basques. The children of Sulayman collaborated with the Basques in the Assault which resulted in the release of Sulayman. He was killed by Husayn later. The Song of Roland is based on the battle of Roncesvalles. This is also called the Battle of Roncevaux pass. Roncevaus is French, Roncesvalles is Spanish.
15. About which city the Arab scholar remarked: “It stood like a watch-tower in the Meadow”?
Answer: The scholar was probably referring to the Al-Hamra.

Quote:
This is not a confirmed answer because I couldn’t find the exact quotes. The al-Hamra is the only one that matches the description of the quote. If anyone finds the answer, please share the source
16. In Muslim Spain the naval commander was called?
Answer: Qa’id

17. Which Muslim ruler is called ad-Dakhil or The Enterer in Spanish history?
Asnwer: Abdul Rahman I

Note: What is the real name of al-Dakhil? CSS 2001
Who was known was Hawk of Quresh? CSS 2001

Quote:
Abdul Rahman I, the first Emir of Cordova was known as al-Dakhil which means The Imigrant. He was also known as Saqr Quraish meaning Hawk of Quraish. Abdul Rahman was from the family of Umayyad Caliphate of Damascus. During his time, the Abbasid revolution overthrew the Umayyad Caliphate. He escaped from Damascus and settled in Cordoba where he continued the Umayyad dynasty. 200 years later one of his descendants, Abdul Rahman III would claim the title of Caliph for himself and find the Umayyad Caliphate of Cordova.
18. Abdul Rahman I was succeeded by his son?
Answer: Hisham I also known as Hisham al-Reda.

19. Islam Resurgent: The Islamic World Today was written by?
Answer: Thomas Ballantine Irving

20. Who is the author of the book entitled “History of the Islamic People”?
Answer: Carl Brockelmann
aneeqawaheed (Saturday, January 04, 2014), ubaid bangash (Monday, December 23, 2013)