View Single Post
Old Monday, December 30, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
Validity doesn't have anything to do with the truth of the statements. The false premises don't force the conclusion to be false, they are independent statements and have their own truth value. Yes all three statements could be false and it would still be a valid argument.
Example:
All women are astronauts.
Socrates is a woman.
Therefore, Socrates is an astronaut.
The argument is valid but unsound.
Indeed, the false premises don't necessarily entail a false conclusion, it is about that incontrovertible proof they give for the deduction of conclusion. If an argument have true premises which also deduce a true conclusion as well as conclusion logically follows from the premises then it is a sound argument, but if premises are false but conclusion logically follows from premises then it is still valid but not sound. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris89 View Post
What my brother above is talking about is what i am saying also. True and false premise has nothing to do with the Argument being a valid one.

REGARDS
Yes dear but you must also appreciate the deductive arguments in terms of being sound and unsound, validity is just one formal aspect of arguments, and in your earlier post you were talking about false premises entailing a false conclusion, its not always the case that false premises lead to false conclusion, if an argument has false premises and still has a true conclusion but it follows logically from premises then still its a valid argument.
Example:
All mammals have wings.
All birds are mammals.
Therefore, All birds have wings.

So you got my point, an argument is still valid if it has false premises and true conclusion, as my example suggests. Separate statements have separate truth values, you must see the inner structure of arguments to find whether they are valid or not.