View Single Post
Old Monday, October 08, 2007
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007

bhaloo280 is on a distinguished road
Default My approach

Most of the people think in Urdu and then translate. Even those who think in English, often do not follow the "structure" of English Language, which is quite different than that of Urdu. Few examples:

Example No1.

“Meri taang toot gaee hay” --- Translation --- “My leg was broken” Now this translation is grammatically correct. Correct sentence in English would be, “I broke my leg”.

Example No. 2.

“Who stole my watch?”.. a typical answer would be “Hamid stole your watch” . Again this is grammatically correct but structure wise incorrect. The correct answer would be, “I think Hamid stole your watch”. This is part of the structure of English language that statements like these are not given with 100% surety. These are just two examples. The point is that one must get familiar with the structure of English Language.

Now how to prepare for it? I follow “Thompson and Marttenet” because it teaches the latest English Grammar and also it makes you familiar with the structure through some very good exercises. Also one must read good books, which means written by native writers and try to observe the language as to in what ways it is different that URDU (Keeping in mind the above mentioned factors). One very important thing, “DAWN is not (repeat NOT) a tool to improve your English”.

Finally, I would like to say that the above observations are my personal observations. As asked a worthy member of the forum, I am sharing my approach towards the English paper of CSS exams. These observations are based on the guidance given by my teacher Kaleem Raza Khan who is a professor at Karachi University and is PHD in linguistics. I admit the chance of my observations being wrong, However, I am stating these with all my sincerity. Best wishes to all.

Syed Kareem Adil
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhaloo280 For This Useful Post:
Afnan (Monday, October 08, 2007), Predator (Tuesday, October 09, 2007), prieti (Monday, October 08, 2007)