View Single Post
Old Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I had decided to opt psychology some days ago but this post of yours has changed my mind and InshAllah i will stick to this choice. Please advice how should I go about philosophy. I have to study for CSS along with job and I can allocate almost 3 hours daily from now onwards. Shall I start with logic or western philosophy. Shall i cover the entire syllabus or study the selected areas. please advice..
In my opinion you should first study Logic. Of course you don't have to study the entire syllabus as there is choice in the subjective questions of CSS. You can leave Ibn-e-Taimiyah's criticism of Aristotle, Aristotle's concept of definition, Al-Farabi's contributions to Logic, Muslim Philosophers' contributions to Logic. All such questions. I myself left Mill's method, evaluation of analogical reasoning. So you don't have to cover the entire syllabus not just in philosophy but also in every other subject. And if you have any question don't hesitate to ask

Quote:

Those who want to opt Philosophy should first look up the Philosophy topics like "traditional square of opposition", "forms of deductive and inductive logic", "Mill's method of induction" and "probability concept in Philosophy" etc. If you think that you can cover the topics easily, only then you should go for it otherwise don't take risk.
It is never a good idea to try to understand Chapter 5 without understanding Chapter 1, 2, 3 and 4. For Traditional Square of Opposition, you first read Categorical propositions, its types A, E, I, O. Then their relationship is expressed very conveniently by a Square. If you advice people to try to understand Baye's law without them understanding basic probability, they will appear lost! So it is not a good idea to challenge people to understand Hegel before they have an idea about Plato's rationalism and Berkeley's idealism.

Philosophy is an easy course for a person to start from scratch. And I don't think philosophy takes any longer time than psychology, I studied both subjects, sat in their exams, so I'm speaking from personal experience.
He that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow (Ecclesiastes 1:18)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha For This Useful Post:
Antalpur (Tuesday, March 31, 2015), BALOCHISTAN (Saturday, July 05, 2014)