View Single Post
Old Saturday, November 10, 2007
Super Moderator
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Zirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of light

Know your English

"WHY DIDN'T you attend the cultural programme yesterday? It was really good."

"Yes, my neighbour told me that it was great. But after all the work I'd put in last week, I needed some time to relax. I needed downtime."

"Downtime? What does it mean"

"It's a term that was first used in factories. A factory's `downtime' is the period when its machines are switched off."

"I see. I've heard the term being used with computers."

"That's right. It's also used with computers. A computer's downtime....."

"....is the period when it is switched off. When it is not in use."

"Exactly! So when a person talks about `downtime', he is referring to the period when he does not work. He relaxes."

"If it's downtime you want, work for a government organisation."

"That's one of the reasons why many people join Government organisations! Downtime resulted in the production costs of the movie going up."

"Downtime is something that I am really looking forward to."

"Last year we didn't get downtime between projects. It was just terrible."

"That's because you were doing projects for so many different companies. Are you doing the same thing this year"

"No, this year the boss has decided to zero in on one or two big companies."

"Zero in on? Does it mean focus on"?

"Well, yes. I can say the camera zeroed in on Sachin's shoes."

"He zeroed in on the dead puppy."

"What a terrible example! I picked up the binoculars and zeroed in on the parrots that were sitting on the tree. It is also possible to zero in on a problem or a subject."

"You give your complete attention to the problem or subject. Is that what it means"?

"Right again. For example, the opposition has zeroed in on the problem of unemployment."

"The newspapers haven't zeroed in on the local problems."

"Local problems don't always sell newspapers. Here's another example. To keep the meeting short, the two lawyers zeroed in on three clauses in the contract."

"Talking about lawyers. Does your company still retain Vasudevan"?

"No, they fired him long ago. He was goldbricking and my boss didn't like it."

"Goldbricking? I've never come across that term before."

"It means to be lazy. To avoid doing one's duty."

"Like our Government officials! I wish somebody would tell these people to stop goldbricking and do some work for a change."

"Goldbricking is what our politicians are born to do. Even those who are not goldbrickers become one....."

"....goldbrickers? Does it mean someone who is very lazy"?

"Exactly! A goldbricker is someone who spends his time doing nothing. Madhu is such a goldbricker."

"If you think he is a goldbricker, you should meet his brother."

"I have met plenty of goldbrickers in my life, but Madhu takes the cake."

"We've talked about `goldbricking' and `goldbricker'. Does the word `goldbrick' exist"

"Yes, it does. A `goldbrick' is someone who is very lazy."

"Stop wasting your time and get back to work you goldbrick. How does that sound"?

"Sounds great. Our cable operator is such a goldbrick."

"I know. He doesn't know anything. He can't answer even simple questions. He just...."

"..... George Bush is the only person who seems to have an answer to all problems."

"What do you mean"?

"You give him any problem and his answer is get rid of Saddam Hussein and the problem will be solved."

"He's zeroed in on Iraq, hasn't he? Every time he talks about Iraq he keeps saying `I am a patient man. I am a patient man'."

"Well after he had killed Caesar, Brutus kept saying that he was an honourable man!"
Nonchalant (Sunday, November 11, 2007), Omer (Sunday, November 11, 2007), Symbol (Monday, November 12, 2007)