View Single Post
Old Wednesday, August 13, 2014

HajiraAKhan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
That is of course a good idea! And it sounds it should be this way that Great Nations should win without having to fight (directly and militarily). But think of the examples, how many are they? I could only think of the United States giving defeat to the Soviet Union without resorting to a direct military 'fight' with it.
Interesting observation. See, that is my Achilles' Heel as an aspiring CSP, I tend to think more in theoretical terms rather than pointing out practical evidence and historical data to support my argument. However, if you really were to take a strong defence on the case (not in the exams of course, but right now for the argument's sake) you could point out how the recent surge of the ISIS has proven the US "victory" in Iraq in 2003 to have been a total waste of time, effort and lives since they could not win the Iraqi people over. Military victories stand little chance against resurgences if the people have not been won over, heart and mind. Or how about Germany after WWI? The only reason they got that treatment according to the treaty of Versailles was because they were on the losing side and instead of being inclusive, the Allied States shunned them causing the whole Nazi Movement to have a fighting chance. I mean, that might not have become as popular had the German people not been so aggrieved. Since the causes for the Second World War could be traced back to the "victories" of the First, could it really be considered a true victory? I read this paper some time back called "The Obsolescence of Major War" which offered brilliant arguments for this case. I can't remember who wrote it, though. .

In retrospect, this could have been a good essay to attempt. Oh well!
The Following User Says Thank You to HajiraAKhan For This Useful Post:
Buddha (Wednesday, August 13, 2014)