View Single Post
Old Thursday, August 14, 2014

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozia View Post
There is a difference between the terms nation, state, and country, even though the words are often used interchangeably.

Country and State are synonymous terms that both apply to self-governing political entities.
A nation is a group of people who share the same culture, language, institutions, religion, and history.

In urdu,the word "qoum" is used for nation and "mulk" for country.whenever a country wins a war,we say wo mulk jeet gaya. we never say k wo qoum jeet gaye. Where the winning of the country can be gauged by its winning a war,the winning of a nation or qoum is referred to its progress over time. Japan,germany,turkey,malaysia are winning nations although they have never won a war(after WWII).

I dnt disagree with you when you say that when an army goes to war,the whole country goes to war.As I have said in my previous argument,even if the word country was used instead of army,the meaning u r inferring could be derived but as the examiner has used nation,it gives a completely different meaning.

I have tried to articulate my stance in the best possible way.It is upto you to infer the meaning now.

I think literal translation causes misunderstanding and it isn't a good idea to use it. I agree that 'nation' could be used in senses other than country or state as in Kurd nation or Baloch nation but the word is also used in the sense of country, in fact overwhelmingly . Google dictionary agrees:
a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.
"the world's leading industrialized nations"
synonyms: country, state, land, sovereign state, nation state, kingdom, empire, republic, confederation, federation, commonwealth, power, superpower, polity, domain;

Therefore, it shouldn't be a source of confusion
He that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow (Ecclesiastes 1:18)