View Single Post
Old Friday, November 16, 2007
Super Moderator
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Zirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of light

Know your English

"HELLO there!"

"Where have you been? I have been waiting here for eternity."

"For eternity, indeed! Stop using hyperbole and tell me exactly how long you have been waiting"

"Stop using what"

"H..y..p..e..r..b..o..l..e. The `y' sounds like the `y' in `my', `by', and `shy'. The following `e' is like the `ir' in `first', `thirst', and `dirt'. The `o' is pronounced like..."

"...let me guess. It's probably pronounced like the `o' in `hole' and `pole'."

"No, it isn't. It's pronounced like the `a' in `china' and the final `e' is like the `i' in `sit', `bit', and `hit'. The main stress is on the second syllable `per'. Any idea what the word means"

"No. Haven't a clue."

"It's an exaggerated statement. When someone uses `hyperbole', they usually say nice things about something just to make it sound much more impressive than what it actually is."

"I see. It's something that our politicians do all the time. Can I say, our politicians use hyperbole all the time"

"I suppose you could. Here's another example. Promod is well known for his use of hyperbole.
Whenever someone comes up with an idea, he says, "That is a truly brilliant idea. One day you are going to win the Nobel Prize'."

"I guess a little hyperbole can make a speech effective."

"It certainly can. But too much of hyperbole is likely to bore the audience. So, tell me how have you been? How was the New Year bash"?

"Oh, it was just great. Naresh must have invited over a thousand people. So,...."

"...there you go again. A thousand people!"

"It was probably closer to fifty."

"That sounds more like it. Anything interesting happen"

"Nothing much. Except that Rohini's cat disappeared for some time."

"Disappeared? What happened"

"Nobody knows. We all saw it on TV around 10: 30. And...."

"...you saw the cat on TV? Which channel"

"Which channel? What are you talking about"

"You said the cat came on TV. So, what I want...."

"...I didn't say it came on TV. I said it was on TV."

"Exactly! When you say that something was on TV, it means that it appeared on television."

"Really? So, can I say I saw Bush and Blair on TV last night"

"Yes, you can. Bush and Blair are a permanent fixture these days. When are you coming on TV"?

"Probably never. But suppose I want to say that the cat was standing on top ...you know..."

"....then you say the cat was on the TV. It means that it was standing on top of the television set."

"I see. Your glasses are on the TV."

"I never leave my glasses on the TV. I always leave them on the microwave."

"Okay, I think I have got the hang of it. Other than the missing cat, the party was a blast. After the party, Naresh and his friends went out and painted the town red."

"I am sorry to hear that."

"What do you mean that you are sorry? Doesn't `paint the town red' mean to enjoy oneself thoroughly"

"Yes, it does. But it also carries with it the suggestion that you were reckless. It also...."

"....tell me what is the origin of this expression?'

"There are several theories and...."

"....one theory will do."

"OK. Everyone agrees that the expression started in America. According to some, `to paint' was originally a slang expression meaning `to drink'. And what happens when someone drinks a lot"?

"How am I supposed to know"

"When someone drinks a lot their nose and face become red!"