View Single Post
Old Monday, October 13, 2014

Aaqib Javed is on a distinguished road
Default Malala FAQ

Malala FAQ

1: "She is settled in UK now, this is so not patriotic & defeats the purpose"

Would you advise her with your sanity intact to come back to Pakistan? I wouldn't.

She is in a school studying - getting education herself, that was what she voiced her concerns about in the first place. At least her cause of education can be supported.

She cannot be in Pakistan due to obvious factor - she is too vulnerable to be in such a volatile country.

2: "What has she been doing since getting shot? nothing!"

She has been working for Syrian displaced people - she was there at a point where people were reaching the border on foot. She spent some time there working for rehabilitation of refugees & making a makeshift school for displaced.

She has setup Malala Fund, and has lobbied and convinced people like #AneglinaJolie & Google VP #MeganSmith to be on the board.
She has raised pledges of $3million for education in developing countries to be distributed by #ClintonGlobalInitiative.

Working with #GlobalPartnershipforEducation, she has helped first-ever youth delegation at a #WorldEducationConference in Brussels, to help youngsters like her reach out to World Leaders to do more for education.

She was one of the few global voices heard very clearly about the Boko Haram abduction of 100s of school girls. She met Nigerian President to prioritize negotiations for release of girls with extremist group.

She influenced Pakistan's Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gillani to establish an IT lab & provide IT teachers in her native Swat Valley's Govt. College for Women.

She hopes to continue doing similar work - but for that she needs more finances & support.

Oh & she has helped her illiterate mom read & write. How many teens have accomplished that ?

3: "Nobel was given to Obama - it's bull crap"

It could be bullcrap for all I care. Anything that is said against Nobel Prize is a critique on it's selection criteria, not on Malala or countless great people who are recognized by it including Mandela.

But I would make an observation. Nobel peace prize is given to people who are currently "Active" to support their efforts financially & raise their profile to a higher level that their effort receive more support. This is somewhat of a pre-emptive award & has backfired many a times e.g. when Obama committed an end of Iraq War but would later continue to support & launch many wars in Middle East.

Malala has only just begun, Noble Prize will help her achieve more attention & more finances for her cause. I will say Kudos to that.

By Muhammed Ali.
Gypsified (Tuesday, October 14, 2014)