View Single Post
Old Wednesday, December 21, 2005
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

mahmood has a spectacular aura aboutmahmood has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibgakhan
Why is #1 correct and #2 is incorrect?
1. If she has time, she could go to the party.
2. If she has time, she would go to the party.

Are these correct? If not, why? What do they mean?

3. If she had time, she might go to the party. (This is correct? How come 'might' is not in past tense? How come 'might' is not 'would'? )
4. If she had time, she can go to the party. (How come #3 is correct but #4 is not?)
5. If she had time, she should go to the party. (Is this correct? Why?)
I am not very sure about the grammatical thingies but i think when you use could, it usually means the past. would can be used in many different ways.

soin my opinion " if she had time, she could go to the party." or "if she has time, she can go to the party."

the second sentence is correct.
the third one could be stated as such " if she had time, she might have gone to the party." OR " if she has time, she might go to the party". I dont think the form you wrote is correct.

the fourth one is similar to the first one.
the fifth can be "If she had time, she should have gone to the party" or " If she has time, she shoudl go to the party."