View Single Post
Old Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 674 Posts
mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahab Farooqi View Post
Who said that being secular is a principle of Islam?
Actually sincer khan said to me that in Islam it is our duty to follow our own religion but we should give respect to the other religions because insulting of other religions is not allowed in Islam. And I told him that it is a basic Principle of Islam that gives respect to other religions.
But it does not mean that you make a secular state from/within a muslim state.

Like for example, Islam says that we (muslims) must not harm non muslims if they do not harm us (muslims). Because this is one of the basic principles of Islam. But Islam does not allow muslims to convert to other religions although Islam has respect for other relgions because secularism is not a part of Islam.
FEEL THE DIFFERENCE
Hmmm well the prospect of conversion and apostasy etc has to do with Muslim community laws and how it is organized, obviously a modern secular community has nothing to worry about people converting or not . I was trying to make a point whether being secular is a part of being Muslim, that is accepting the existence of other religions and working with them for mutual benefit of all. It is apparent that Holy Prophet (SAW) himself lived a very secular life and established trade and other forms of links along with military pacts with people of other faiths. Many of the Islamic traditions which can be traced back to the Prophet (SAW) time have been borrowed from other faiths, for example the punishment of stoning to death for married adulterers. And the soorah kafiroon of the Quran very much makes it pretty clear that aspects of theocracy, spirituality and faith may be considered separately. Thus claiming that Islam allows respecting other religions only when they don't harm you is a very unjust and narrow mindedly constructed prospect because Islam is continuously harming them by seeking converts from them.

Nevertheless I apologize for jumping in between your conversation.