View Single Post
Old Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mohammed Ali Baig is on a distinguished road
Default Apology

Please accept my apology. If I knew you would not be able to relate these guesses with the original paper, I would have written for "how to interpret the guess papers" before posting them. The basic logic the interpretation is that if any part of the question # 1 is asked from sample A, then all parts of question # 1 from both sample B and C get zero consideration option, and likewise for all questions. This is the basic assumption of the guess papers. So there are many combinations that can be made ideally out of three samples (e.g., Question # 1 from sample C, Question # 2 and 3 from sample A, Question # 4 from sample B and so on).

As repeated told in various posts on this forum, there is no chance that you are asked to write for Juvenile Delinquency in one question of 20 marks, and for criminology/crime behavior in the other question of 20 marks in the same paper. This is not the way to set the exam. So, making these guess papers were not just a random try, but backed by some "serious" study, and that you can do and relate "only if you understand the subject"

Also, it should be noted that "guess papers" work always better for those who have gone through the subject at least once. The quandary here at CSS is that most of the candidates are not aspirants but wannabees: there's a difference between both. Most of them pick subjects like "Sociology", "Journalism", "International Law", "Punjabi", "Psychology" and "Public Administration" because they have to have some subject on list to complete the set for 600 marks, and that should be known as a scoring subject as well. This yields not only to disappointed attempts but also it does mislead the new candidates at CSS.

Keeping in head the aforementioned points, if you look at the questions suggested in Sample Papers A, B and C, and then to the original paper, it's not very difficult to relate the asked questions as following:
Original Question # 8: Discuss various neurological discorders, their aetiology (sources/causes) and treatment (therapies)
Sample Question (2-B) # 6: List different kinds of disorder you know. Explain in detail Somatoform disorder. Also suggest its treatment
Sample Question (2-C) # 5: Define disorder. Explain in detail the Psychotic Disorder (also known as Psychosis). Suggest possible treatments
Sample Question (2-C) #7: How many types of therapies do you know in psychology? List and briefly describe different techniques of psychodynamic and cognitive therapies order you know. Explain in detail Somatoform disorder. Also suggest its treatment

In the above guess questions, it was expected that the candidates will look for all the disorders and prepare the major three to five disorders with their causes and the probable treatments. In the other question, it was expected that all therapies will be taken seriously in the revision plan. Because even if you study the therapies only, you get some idea about the disorders as well. Anyway no short cut was offered, and these were few of the safest questions that were expected for 2015.

Original Question # 7: Discuss Piaget's cognitive-stage theory in detail
Sample Question (2-B) # 3: Describe Jean’s Piaget’s four stages of development; and discuss the process of organization, adaptation, assimilation and accommodation

This is one of the vital theory in the development psychology. In most of the past papers, this question was asked as it is, also in 2014. This year too it was highly anticipated
Original Question # 6: What are Erikson's eight stages of psychosocial development? Discuss in detail
Sample Question (2-A) # 5: Explain in detail Erik Erikson's Psycho-social development of personality. Give relevant examples in each of 8 stages in the theory

In the past papers, this question was hardly asked for a 20 marks question. This year I repeated told to my students that this question on highly expected to be asked in the exam. I even provided detailed notes on the topic describing relevant examples for each of its eight stages

Original Question # 6: How personality is studied and measured and what are the ethics of personality testing

Psychology (Part I) was very straight, and easy and everyone was happy with the paper. But in that paper, some very important questions were left out including "perception" and "personality" which were highly expected. I mentioned in the very thread where I posted for sample of part I (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-optio...-i-2015-a.html) that "There is no paper in the past 25 years, when the topic of personality was not covered". It should be noted that it is not uncommon at CSS (e.g., Zoology, Geology, Botany and Psychology) where questions from Part I are asked in Part II. In the above question, the examiner has not only touched the topic of personality and its assessment but also related the topic of ethics in psychology with its assessment. The first part of this question had to be dealt with the bookish definitions, statements and theories, and the second part demanded a general answer. These topics were anticipated in the following sample questions:
Sample Question (1-A) # 5: Define Personality? Explain in detail Freud's Psychosexual Theory of Personality
Sample Question (1-A) # 6: What is Personality Testing? State different kinds of Personality assessment tests. Also discuss the uses and rationale behind Thematic Appreciation Test (TAT)
Sample Question (1-B) # 5: Define Personality. What are the different factors involved in its development
Sample Question (1-B) # 6: What is Personality Testing? Discuss the uses and rationale behind the two major kinds of assessment tests (I) Self Report Inventory, and (II) Projective Tests
Sample Question (1-C) # 5: Explain in detail psychoanalytic theory of personality. Also discuss the defense mechanism as part of the theory

Two Very Important Things Were Seen in the Paper:
1. As in most of the papers, like Journalism, US History, International Law, in this paper too, the questions were not of very technical nature but designed only to screen out those who have sufficient base knowledge about the subject. Papers like Sociology, and Geography and Indo-Pak History were easy though, that too to create the balance in the talent pool, which is perfectly fine
2. Only those are happy with their attempt at part II who have had learned the subject as an equally important knowledge area as Everyday Science, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry are at CSS
I have read somewhere on this forum that the writing machines of part I were jammed at part II, and that it was a moment of laughter. But, I see this from a very different way, and it is sad to see that most of the candidates were stunned at part II, which was a really simple paper

Criticism is always welcomed. But there's no time for this. Rather if it's used for managing ones weakness will yield more good.

To be honest, this was indeed a very straight paper. Different aspirants have taken this paper in a different way: some found it easy, and crammers got silenced

My students performed well

Wish You All a Very Good Luck
waqas izhar (Sunday, February 22, 2015)