View Single Post
Old Monday, March 02, 2015

zaindy is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I wrote on "I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say" (although I corrected the grammatical error in this statement by adding the word "it" at the end of the sentence). This is essentially a topic on free speech.

I am counting on the examiner paying proper attention to the essays they are checking. I did not write an elaborate outline. I don't remember it exactly, but it was roughly:

--Introduction
a) Origin of statement
b) Implications of statement

-- United States First Amendment
-- Free speech in Europe
-- Western Hypocrisy
-- Free speech in Pakistan
-- Compromises
-- Conclusion

I wrote around 10 pages. I identified that the statement is attributed to Voltaire the Frenchman, in the introduction. I gave extensive examples of free speech as practiced in the United States under the first amendment, such as the struggle of Martin Luther King Jr. for Civil rights, which was based on his right to speak without restrictions. I also mentioned the racist organization KKK, which also has a right to spew hate against African Americans. I explained that free speech does not extend to calls for violence. I mentioned political conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who considers 9/11 terrorist attacks an act carried out by the US government itself and yet has a radio show.

With regards to Europe, I obviously mentioned Charlie Hebdo incident's implications, as well as the secular view that religion is an idea not exempt from criticism and ridicule. I mentioned the right wing political fanatic groups such as Golden Dawn of Greece, and English Defence League of England.

Western hypocrisy is exposed by laws in France banning students from wearing a hijab or cross to school, by Switzerland banning minarets of mosques, by Charlie Hebdo terminating the services of an employee for 'anti-semitism', only months before the Paris terrorist attack.

Free speech in Pakistan is restricted by blasphemy laws, but sectarian terrorists are hate mongering freely.

Muslims must exercise patience and restraint when being confronted by hate speech. Write books to debunk anti-Islamic material rather than reacting violently.

Conclusion was that Voltaire's statement is highly idealistic, and absolute free speech does not exist anywhere. There must be a balance between free speech and curbing hate speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqas izhar View Post
only compulsories are in greater number. look if there is more than one examiner then it is not just or fair. to keep homogeneous checking it has to be one examiner. that is why outline is very important. your outline will determine whether you pass or fail.

one examiner per subject is a confirmed fact by CSPs my friend
I have a hard time believing this. It's simply not possible for any one examiner to check nearly 10,000 essays. Even on the front page of the answer booklet, there are two boxes for the signatures of two examiners. Your papers are checked by at least two examiners.

Also, I gave little importance to the outline. What you are implying is that examiners do not even bother reading the essay if they don't like the outline, which sounds ridiculous to me. Since this is an essay paper, I hope the examiner reads everyone's essays with attention. It is the content of your essay, the flow, the structure, your expression and legibility that determines your pass or fail status, not your outline.