View Single Post
Old Thursday, March 05, 2015

Wheeler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniyalahmed View Post
Let me clarify a couple of points. To begin with, clearing competitive examination is not a criteria to judge the competence of an individual. I have seen pretty ordinary people qualify, contrarily, many able people do not even consider civil services as a worthwhile career. I am saying this out of experience.

Apart from managing to clear CE - 2014 written examination, I have already secured Fulbright scholarship. Now, the credentials of people who bag this prestigious award are immaculate to say the least. Moreover, most of them are not even aware of the CE. Likewise, the scope of this service is limited to Pakistan only,however, people with global ambitions opt for other alternatives. Most people from humble backgrounds perceive civil services to be a short cut for social success. Sadly, very few people take the exam to ameliorate the sufferings of teeming masses.

CE process needs reform that is why people are clamoring for change. Do you know, in some parts of the world civil services has been completely phased out? Do you know that our cram oriented examination system has been replaced by other more effective examination systems such as GRE and GMAT that capture analytic abilities? Why MEPCO, LESCO, FIA, NAB, LDA and a hundred other departments are recruiting people based on NTS? Do we need people who study Arabic, Persian, Punjabi, Pushto, Islamic History or we need people who are proficient in Public Policy formulation and implementation? Are Persian or Arabic even relevant to our society, leave alone Civl Services? With this yardstick how can you assess that a 'chosen' candidate is indeed suited for public service?

I have better alternatives but still I will opt for CSS, if given a chance by god almighty. This is because I believe that people are to be served. I am from people and unto this soil, I shall return. However, my own goals are secondary. Tragically, this mindset is scarce. Clearing CSS is more important, opting for relevant subject is less important. What a tragic irony!

I would also like to add that there is no point in arguing. All members of this group are honorable people. Furthermore, we may have differences but 'ego' should not dictate our reactions, rather love, consideration and regard should serve as guiding light. Let us pursue knowledge, Let us appreciate intelligence and above all let us tolerate difference.

My best wishes are for those who will take the interview. May the best person who can serve people be selected.
Beautifully written,Daniyal.However, I disagree with you on one or two counts : a) USEFP mainly looks for well-rounded people with varied interests.I know of people with ordinary grades at their undergraduate degree getting Fulbright for Masters at ivy league universities.If someone is weak in academics,he or she can bolster his credentials by some solid work experience and vice versa. b) Oriental languages like Arabic and Persian have their place in today's world.Persian in particular is a treasure trove of eternal truths.Books of Sheikh Saadi and Rumi are guiding lights for today's youth.

I completely agree with you that qualifying CSS writtene exam is not a criterion to judge someone's intellectual abilities.The system is inherently flawed.Paper checking especially in English Essay and Precis exams is whimsical. Hats off to you for not letting your success in CE 2014 written exam get into your head-unlike some others' ,who admonish us" non qualifiers " when there interviews are commented upon.

With every passing year more and more graduates of foreign universities are trying their luck at CSS.Even Oxbridge and Harvard graduates are sitting for CSS.TV serials like Zindagi Gulzar Hai have glamourised the civil services.A large number of foreign university graduates who come back to Pakistan take CSS atleast once.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wheeler For This Useful Post:
daniyalahmed (Friday, March 06, 2015), imranazeem (Saturday, March 21, 2015), RMKamran (Friday, March 06, 2015)