View Single Post
Old Sunday, May 24, 2015
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

I'm really sorry for being late, I would humbly state as much as I know.

I would make you understand with the help of an analogy, being a student of Logic, I'm quite habitual of drawing analogies to make things clear.

I would compare impressive English with a perfect edifice, which is an epitome of strength and paragon of beauty. So first of all we have to build a strong foundation and then we will adore it. I tell you how to do that.

We start with building a strong foundation. English, like other languages, is made of certain words which have their respective functions. These words are parts of speech. You must start with studying the parts of speech and then identifying their respective functions in a sentence. Once you know what the function of a verb is, or why we use adjectives etc, you would use them precisely and your first stage to acing the English language is complete.

Second stage is about have your hands on different structures. You must know which modal verb or auxiliary verb to be used to convey certain meanings. You must know the conditionals, auxiliary verbs for ability etc.

Some good helping books:

A Practical English Grammar by A.J Thomson & A.V Martinet.
Practical English Usage by Michael Swan
Oxford Idioms by William McMordie

Now you have built the foundation. You can add more strength to it if you gain prowess on above mentioned grammatical components.

Now I tell you how to adore and beautify your language. They say that "To become a good writer, you'll have to become an avid reader." You must "read", not study, good books with profundity of knowledge and beauty of language. You must read good books, books with awesome prose, these will equip you with amazingly awesome structures and felicitous vocabulary. All you need to do is read these books and emulate their style.

I tell you some quality books and other sources:

1. History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel (An amazing fusion of knowledge and prose)
  2. Essays of Francis Bacon (Only if you can stay engaged with drab things)
  3. Wall Street Journal (My favorite, combination of Current Affairs and fabulous language)

You must also learn idioms, but also know how to use them precisely.

I hope I have been able to tell you whatever I did, and I believe doing all that will make you as incompetent as I am, after all choice was yours.

Staying engaged and committed in all that journey is the sine qua non to become adroit at English language or even any other thing.

Learn=> Apply=> Practice=> World is yours

I can't resist my temptations to tell you my favorite quote of Aristotle which motivates us to practice as much as we can.

He says "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act but a habit."

I wish you very best of luck in your endeavors. If you wanna hit the mark, always aim above the mark. Best of Luck.

P.S: If somebody believes that he/she got a strong foundation already then don't follow my advice. You may straight away go for reading and practice.

Last edited by Bilal Hassan; Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bilal Hassan For This Useful Post:
Aamish Bhatti (Tuesday, July 07, 2015), amna rafiq (Monday, May 25, 2015), anabiya mughal (Thursday, July 23, 2015), Antalpur (Wednesday, June 03, 2015), Comm (Wednesday, June 03, 2015), comm786 (Tuesday, July 07, 2015), daniyalahmed (Sunday, May 24, 2015), Hina Rafaqat (Friday, December 20, 2019), Imrantm (Monday, May 25, 2015), Mahi Khursheed (Sunday, May 24, 2015), Muhammad Daniyal Khalek (Monday, May 25, 2015), Nazish Hina (Monday, May 25, 2015), Silent Spectator (Sunday, May 24, 2015), Sweet Gondal (Monday, October 12, 2015)