View Single Post
Old Monday, August 31, 2015

Monk will become famous soon enoughMonk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
While I agree with the rest of your arguments in this thread, I disagree with this one. I don't think anyone knew before partition exactly what kind of a state they were demanding. They were just demanding a separate state, nobody was particularly sure what that state would be like. Not even Mr. Jinnah.
“Pakistan’s Constitution should incorporate the essential principles of Islam, which are as good and relevant in our day, as were 1300 years ago. But Pakistan should not be a theocratic state ruled by priests.” Quaid

"In any case Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission. We have many non-Muslims-Hindus, Christians and Parsis -- but they are all Pakistanis. They will enjoy the same rights and privileges as any other citizens and will play their rightful part in the affairs of Pakistan." Quaid-i-Azam, Feb. 1948

“Neither the Muslim League Working Committee nor I ever passed a resolution [called] 'Pakistan ka matlab kya' — you may have used it to catch a few votes,” said Quaid-e-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah when a Muslim Leaguer chanted this slogan at the last session of the All India Muslim League.

Unfortunately, the slogan-monger prevailed over Jinnah.

Those who believe in this slogan now dominate Pakistan. Those who remember what Jinnah said on this or other occasions can be counted on fingers.

The poem, “Pakistan ka matlab kya,” was written by a schoolteacher from Sialkot, Asghar Sodai. He lived a long life (Sept. 26,1926 – May 17, 2008) but never had any direct political influence.

His poem, however, proved to be the most influential piece of poetry ever written in Pakistan. It was more influential than the poetry of Iqbal and Faiz put together, seeing as this single poem shaped the country’s official ideology.

Last edited by Man Jaanbazam; Monday, August 31, 2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: merge chain posts