View Single Post
Old Thursday, September 17, 2015

Cogito Ergo Sum will become famous soon enoughCogito Ergo Sum will become famous soon enough
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Well situation is sad and Adil Ashfaq has rightly pointed out that its more or less same in most of the fields because we live in a developing country and hopefully things will get better with the passage of time.

But this mention of doctors' protests etc. has touched my sore place over which i was so gloomy these days so let me express that I dont oppose their demands but whats more wretched are painful deaths of innocent patients because of these strikes etc..... I mean what can be more precious than a person's life.......??? I know they go on strike because nobody listen to them in other way and unfortunately strikes and sit in protests have become the right way to solve any issue in our country but will they do the same if (God forbid) some member of their own family is lying in critical condition in the same hospital? It was heartbreaking to hear about expiry of 10 patients recently in Karachi when doctors were sitting on roads. Can they imagine the level of pain and helplessness of those people who lost their loved ones in all this matter..... How can such merciless doctors be successful in their motives when they have earned the sobs of so many families.... And sorry to say atleast i dont feel any sympathy for these doctors in "this" situation. They should be humans first and doctors later. There can be some other way.... There should be...... Its not impossible..... But getting your goals at the cost of human lives and pressurizing government using these tactics is totally ruthless and intolerable!

Coming back to topic, i think its not a good solution to quit the field. I remember the words of an ASP who said that he wants to join the Police because this field is notorious for many reasons and Problems in a system can be solved only by jumping in the system, not by skipping them.. Ofcourse its not easy, but some day some one will have to take first step with positive intentions.
Never in a doctors' strike has an emergency been closed. We close the OPDs which operate from 8-2, and anyone who has ever visited a hospital knows that serious patients present to the Emergency and not the OPD. In fact, during the days of strike, Emergency is overloaded because we treat even some of the OPD patients in it! And, in case you don't know: Emergencies operate 24/7. No Eids, Independence Days, 9,10th Muharram, and other such days when everyone else is chilling in their homes ever relieve the doctors of the emergency duties.

The number of deaths appearing on the media is misleading and I don't blame you or anyone else to develop negative opinions based on misinformation. Patients die in emergencies on a daily basis. On strike days, the media personnel obtain a record of the deaths on that particular day in the emergency and report it with a headline, "Doctors' strike claimed __ lives". For those who know how things work, this very notion of patients dying due to the closure of OPDs is absurd and laughable. A dying patient presents to the emergency, s/he has nothing to do with the OPD!

Lastly, I would like to address what Adil has said. Though I am in agreement with his argument of professionals in general being at a disadvantage in Pakistan as a whole, I am bothered by this tendency to compare engineers, pharmacists and other professionals with doctors. This is not because I have some superiority complex, I just find this comparison similar to comparing apples with oranges. Just as doctors don't know the work environment and nature of duties of the engineers and other professionals, non-doctors too don't have any idea about the hospital conditions. The level of competition to reach a medical college, the stress of going through a five-year long period of studying of the toughest stuff that there is, doing a house job where you work ~100 hours a week (12 hour per day average), being unable to stay off work even on public holidays, equally rigorous Post-graduate training etc; all of these things at least make us worthy of a status/privileges given to the civil servants on administrative posts. We are the ones doing "civil service" in true sense of the term. If we don't even get a proper service structure after all of this, then I am afraid this nation deserves the massive brain drain which is already in progress.

P. S.
Apologies to the thread starter for discussing something which is totally unrelated to the theme of the thread.