View Single Post
Old Thursday, September 24, 2015

RMKamran will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandered View Post
I want to have a comment of seniors on that how important is it to write an essay in a traditional way. I mean opening an essay with a thesis statement and then proceeding with the conventional arguments explaining the topic and the main idea. Then going to the analysis of causes, factors, repercussions, remedies, solutions and conclusions.
What if a person writes it in a bit different way, I mean to dramatize the opening or starting with a example then inferring/extracting the main idea from that example. Here,intention is being to involve the reader rather than to express the command over language.
I have heard from a teacher that standing out from the crowd and innovation are the requisites for English Essay be it in terms of expression, vocabulary, idea or writing style. I am a bit reluctant to comply, seeks your advice.
Another thing. Is it okay to write example from one's own life ? (Yes ! only when they are most suitable and cohesive).
You have asked a very good question. As per my experience and knowledge, I'd say you if you want to dramatize then it would be more appropriate if you start from the historic perspective of your topic. But do it only if you have a background knowledge about that topic. But, again be careful to remain on the track. Don't write it too long and your sentences should be inter-related because you are going to hit the bull's eye after giving that example. Whereas causes, factors, recommendations and conclusions are the skeleton of every essay so don't skip them.

Regarding your second question, it depends on the topic. One advise from my seniors that I learned that don't ever try to impress the checker. For making impression, you have rest 11 papers. Essay is the only one question with merely one right answer. So, be careful and choose that topic on which you can easily write.

Stay blessed.

Regards.
MehtabMumtaz (Sunday, September 27, 2015)