View Single Post
Old Sunday, October 04, 2015

Monk will become famous soon enoughMonk will become famous soon enough
Default Quantitative Self Evaluation CSS 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahadKhanSurani View Post
If there is someone who is totally clueless regarding his CSS performance and result, that's me. I took the exam without any formal preparation. A day before the exam, I was in Lahore. Owing to domestic problems, I gave up the idea of appearing in the exam three or four months before the exams. Didn't prepare at all during that time. On the night preceding the exam, I went to bed quite late. Failing to get sufficient sleep, I felt quite disturbed in the morning. I don't know what tempted me into making a whimsical decision that I should have an attempt at the essay paper. I hurriedly fetched my roll number slip and pen and set out for the exam hall. It all happened haphazardly. I reached the exam hall with much difficulty as I had no idea where the school was located. However, I got there just in time. I was all fingers and thumbs when the paper was handed over to me. I felt as if all my thinking abilities had come to a grinding halt. When I glanced over the paper, I was pleasantly surprised. Almost all the topics were 'do-able'. I didn't think much and sadly, went for the one related to war on terror and human rights abuses. I didn't even write the outline. I just started it and wrote down whatever came to my mind. Having no experience of essay writing, I was not sure as to how to write what I wanted to write. However I kept writing on. I jotted down whatever my mind could produce. If I am asked to rate my essay I will give myself 45 at best. I am not sure about the assessment criteria of the examiners.

After the essay paper, I halfheartedly convinced myself to take the precis paper as well. My performance in the objective portion was okay. The summary part was a bit tough though. But I think I attempted it well. The writing part went well. I will rate the grammar portion as 'not too bad'.

I went back with the firm decision that I will not appear for the other papers. But then a friend talked me into changing my mind. I had zero preparation for the compulsory subjects. I attempted every single one of them with zero preparation. But I am hopeful. I think I don't deserve a fail in any of the papers. In the Islamiyat paper, I didn't write a single Quranic verse or Hadith though I elaborated my thoughts intellectually (in English). Should that be something for me to worry about?

My compulsory subjects were Sociology, Psychology, Physics and Pashto. Sociology was average. Psychology was fine. Physics went great. Pashto, though my mother tongue, went just fine. Except for Physics, no other subject I expect to win me laurels.

A question to all of you who have been through the ordeal of CSS: how do you rate my performance? Should I keep my fingers crossed or just live with the idea that I am not the right person for the right job when it comes to civil service?

How can you say that you aren't the right person to join civil services when you attempted the most competitive exam of Pakistan without any preparation? If you fail, will you blame your abilities or lack of preparation? Having said this; CSS is a tricky business you never know until you see the result. If you really want to test your abilities and luck then give a good four months to Preparations!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monk For This Useful Post:
Cogito Ergo Sum (Sunday, October 04, 2015), FahadKhanSurani (Sunday, October 04, 2015), imranazeem (Sunday, October 04, 2015)