View Single Post
Old Sunday, October 25, 2015
46th CTP (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2017 - Merit 230

Toru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
I took CSS in 2015 and I opted sociology as well. For the most part we agree on what relevant stuff is, for this question at least. I still believe that identifying various social research methods and how they differ is within he ambit of this question. How else, then, is this question different from 'what are the steps to conduct an experiment'? By addressing merits and demerits of various social research methods, you can show depth of your knowledge and also explain how one method is better than the other for any given situation. What if you have to conduct social research on sex roles? You certainly cannot design an experiment for that. Deciding which method is suitable in which situation is part of getting good sociological research done.

I guess it depends on how in depth one chooses to be. Had I been asked to answer this question, I would not have been satisfied with a un-idimensional response. I do realize that by doing this I run the risk of running out of time but time management is part of the game.
....And hence, the uni-dimensional response for the most part of the answer and evaluation (if at all) in a paragraph at most explaining which research method (not steps) can best be used in a particular condition (and hence different experiments) for example the problem of sex roles....which again is covered under determining the research-design step of the systematic/scientific research methods. These my friend are uniform. They are constant no matter which method you choose. They come under the step of ''choosing your research-design''.... Linking it this way can make an answer look multi-dimensional than just uni and can be fit in the given time....no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
For the straightforward questions (which are only a minority in any question paper of CSS), 2-3 pages are enough if you can squeeze all the content which the examiner has demanded. Tupac's opinion about TIME being the biggest determinant of the length of your answers is not just an opinion, it is a fact!

In a couple of optionals, some mismanagement took place on my part and I was left with just 20 or so minutes for the last question. It necessitated some tough decisions! I used to write 1,2,3,4 beside the question numbers on the paper, to indicate my own order of attempting them. And in those two optional papers, I had to replace my "number 4" with a question that I thought demanded a shorter answer than the one I had originally chosen. That's how it is in CSS. If you can manage time, you're a winner!
What optionals do/did you have? And do you intend taking the exams in Feb?

Last edited by incounternable; Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: chain posts merged