View Single Post
Old Friday, October 30, 2015
46th CTP (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2017 - Merit 230

Toru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
Toru,

I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion regarding my essay. You elaborated quite well what I myself tried to point out.

I did, in fact, over-analyze things. But while making the outline, I took proper care (as per my own estimates) not to 'sound' too complex. In my defence (which is pointless now, but still I am doing it for the benefit of you guys so that you don't fall into the same pit) I would say that the outline and the basic structure of my essay revolved EXACTLY around the questions you have posed while telling us what you think should have been my essay's content.

Where do I think I fell short? I didn't replicate the structural simplicity of the outline in the essay. Just as you have quite aptly put it: over-analysis caused my downfall.

Again, all these are just assumptions. Maybe the examiner just saw my handwriting and wrote 20/100 on the top of my sheet. Maybe he didn't like my outline, simple or otherwise. Maybe he was offended by the fact that I began my essay with a quotation from Mr Gandhi. Or maybe he didn't know the meanings of the words/phrases like "paradigm shift", "nihilism" and "zeitgeist". But, gentlemen, if you can keep all these assumptions in mind to produce an essay which has no such 'assumed' shortcomings, that would certainly achieve the purpose of this thread. And I would love to see you guys succeed

P.S.
Please prepare equally well for précis. Odd years (2013,2015) are for the essay, while even (2012, 2014, and probably 2016) are for the précis. Islamiat also lurks somewhere among all these, waiting to stun it's unsuspecting victims!!!

I actually did that. In my second paragraph (after the introduction), I stated my assumption and then went on to prove it. And after that, I moved on to the next points. But this is immaterial now. I still failed
The irony of this exam is, and moreso the assessment that the bit where you presume the examiner may not have liked your handwriting; it is too intuitively appealing. More than what may be classified as reasonable factors. But i guess it means a whole new thing as far as FPSC is concerned.

I also think rigid replication of the outline matters. Why? If i am the examiner and im least inclined to check all your paper, but assuming im conscientious at the same time, i'd go over every topic sentence in your essay to see if you have kept to your structure (and introduced no new ideas). But hey i wouldn't do that now would i? Especially when i know i can give EVERYONE a zero and get away with it lol..

Your contribution has been invaluable Doc. I wish to see more of you here. And i would've wished you good luck had i been uncertain about the future because i know for sure you will do exceedingly well no matter where you are or what you do. Do stick around for the much-needed-help and Sober company to balance the likes of our dear Mr Justice. Its only been 2 days and he's already become a pain in everyone's behind. Haha
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toru For This Useful Post:
Cogito Ergo Sum (Friday, October 30, 2015), Justice (Friday, October 30, 2015), kingfalcon (Friday, October 30, 2015)