View Single Post
Old Thursday, January 07, 2016
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Nazish Hina is on a distinguished road

First of all, you have great teachers.
Second, it is not difficult once you get the hang of it. Writing in short sentences makes it easier to read. But that doesn't mean it should be 5-6 words per sentence.
It also doesn't mean that you can NEVER use long sentences. Sometimes you have to use a long sentence, like your first sentence. There's no other way to adequately express it.

let me give you an example by 2 of my most favorite writers.
Here's a description of someone who's tired by Ernest Hemingway.

Quote:
Manuel drank his brandy. He felt sleepy himself. It was too hot to go out into the town. Besides there was nothing to do. He wanted to see Zurito. He would go to sleep while he waited
Here's a description of someone who's tired by William Faulkner.

Quote:
He did not feel weak, he was merely luxuriating in that supremely gutful lassitude of convalescence in which time, hurry, doing, did not exist, the accumulating seconds and minutes and hours to which it its well state the body is slave both waking and sleeping, now reversed and time now the lip-server and mendicant to the body's pleasure instead of the body thrall to time's headlong course.
See, the difference. Usually academic writing is thought to be like Faulkner. Which is a somewhat misguided belief.
Find a balance between these two.
Caution: Hemingway uses almost no transitional words, but you have to.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, you can ask me more questions. Have a nice day!

*sorry if there are any typos, I just woke up..

sent from tapatalk