View Single Post
Old Tuesday, February 02, 2016

TASHKEEL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilal Hassan View Post
Thesis statement explicitly states your stance on the given topic, in rest of the essay you corroborate that stance with your arguments. At this point I would like to make one thing very clear, Thesis statement is only required in Argumentative Essays and nowhere else. It becomes logical to have thesis statement in argumentative essays only because only these type of essays require your clear stance, either against the topic or in favor of it. Following are some of the argumentative essays where thesis statement is required:

1) Gender Equality is a Myth:

Thesis Statement: Gender Equality is a reality (Countering the Topic)
Thesis Statement: Both genders are not equal thus gender equality is a myth (In favor of topic)

Its position in Outline:

Introduction
a) Gender Equality: Meaning
b) Thesis Statement

2) Labor saving devices are more troublesome than they worth
3) Anticipation is often greater than realization
================================================== ==

Now, any essay other than argumentative one does not require thesis statement. I explain why. Consider the topic "Energy crisis: Causes & Consequences." This is simple descriptive essay and it does not ask you to take sides rather you are just required to write on the given topic as it is. You can't take sides so you don't need a thesis statement. Simple!!!

Following are some examples of descriptive essays:

1) I disapprove what you say, but I defend to death your right to say
2) The roll of women in development of society

I hope it is clear now.

P.S: Someone had asked me to visit and contribute to this forum so I do it now. I hope you would be glad AR
Very beautifully explained. Thank you for your post.
aneelbachwani (Wednesday, April 20, 2016), Redefiner (Thursday, April 21, 2016), zaaraqutab (Wednesday, February 10, 2016)