View Single Post
Old Wednesday, February 24, 2016
45th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2016 - Merit 135

Meme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR ZAIDI View Post
Those aspirants who mashallah have attempted GS paper kindly share their take on about this subject
What do u think which is the best book or books ?
Without any kind of background one can opt this subject as a good optional for
good marks ?
Internet sites recommendation ?
GS alternate form the same group ?
anything else that helps alot to cover this subject
Hey,

I did not have any background in this subject but I do have a social sciences background so I was familiar with the terminology a little bit.
Gender studies is an interesting subject but the theories require understanding.
The books on this subject that I would recommend would be for starters:
1) Gender a Sociological Approach by Mary Holmes
This book really breaks down the theories and makes a base for someone with no background in the subject,
Once you get a hang of the terms, theories etc you should narrow the sub topics you want to study.
I focused on Gender and Governance, Gender and Development and Gender and Globalization.
For these topics you will find a lot of articles etc but for Gender and Development, Reversed Realities was a good book.

As for scoring, I felt that the exam could not have been attempted by someone with little preparation, this is not one of those subjects. You need to give it some time but once you get the basics you can write on it easily.

For websites the Stanford Encyclopedia is a good resource.

Try Mary Holmes' book, if you understand it and enjoy it, then go for it.

Hope this helps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meme For This Useful Post:
AR ZAIDI (Thursday, February 25, 2016), Bookaholic (Thursday, February 25, 2016), Mehroz Munir (Thursday, June 29, 2017), ruhafza (Sunday, July 02, 2017)