View Single Post
Old Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yasser28 is on a distinguished road

You have done a good deal of quality analysis. I am held by the power agenda of IESCO(fear of shutdown at this hour) here so not replying in detail for the moment( will come out with one till tonight perhaps granted no urgency comes in the way). However, I am obliged to you for giving me a sobering thought to return to sympathy towards the proof error of Yousafzai.

Well, you people have given very confident and quite assertive statements based on a range of personal experiences to observations and analyses. But let me somewhere rebut and elsewhere affirm your views.

Conspiracy, tutor mafias, cartels, bad education system, lack of practice either induced through false self-perception or laziness or lack of time during the preparation period.: this has been the range of my worthy friends diagnoses of the ailment under review. Well, you have full right to give expression to what you think apt in the current context but let me disagree with you.
“Conspiracy, tutor mafias, cartels, bad education system”

These, to me, in their best-case scenario are mere analytical clichés and arguably examples of negative thinking. Please save yourself from falling a prey to such a futile blame here. You will perhaps agree with me that majority of CSS candidates who appear in all the papers are not entirely non-serious persons. They are usually from the best of Pakistani pupils of different educational institutions. I mean they are best of the whatever system of education of the country. Most of them are, however, victims of freshly induced delusions from the semester system thund programme high grades (few readings at hand easy passing out, short intervals intervening the lecture deliverance from instructor and evaluation term ) create a false perception that they don’t need any hard work to pass this epic test of CSS where people preparing themselves for years are their colleagues. So this point reinforces the point made out by many of my friends here.
Another reason of failure is unawareness of various stylistic subtleties of this very important form of writing (I mean Essay). Very few candidates have have analyzed that what kind of various essays are in the question paper (analytical, subjective, argumentative, etc.); so they don’t proceed according to requirement. Many people cannot differentiate between argument and illustration and their paragraph breaks are improper. Development of argument is not a child’s play; however, lack of practice makes it for many to think it at 180 degree to my point. Grammar, vocabulary, syntax have certainly important part in giving a mature look to an essay but they are wholly important: your approach towards the problem or quality of your case-making matters very much also. Moreover, one’s time management plays very important part in giving a proper look to one’s essay. Bear in my mind these check-posts: arguments for, arguments against and achieving or reaching a convincing conclusion taking extract of your whole polemical game. Some people’s sudden leaps make their essays their own nemeses. Therefore keep in my mind that an essay is not just the name of an intellectual unity but it also look as an organic unity.

Conclusion:

So my request here would be to see things in positive way. There should be little temptation to smell a rat everywhere and finding conspiring black-holes elsewhere. Practice and getting another’s expert judgment on it and improving on it can help much. Please don’t take essay easy as it’s not just a jotting down of high-sounding words and multi-syllable sound bytes rather it’s a complete reflection of one’s thinking processes and capability of prioritizing the pieces of argument and finally reducing it to a smart piece of conclusion.

Take care.

Last edited by Princess Royal; Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: posts merged
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasser28 For This Useful Post:
Sureshlasi (Friday, June 13, 2008)