View Single Post
Old Sunday, April 03, 2016

Abuturab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post

@abutrab

Have some correction please, figures has been worsoned even more than that.....
For example per capital availability of water in Pakistan is not 1000+ but in the range of 900 or even less than that.(also revise all the figures, pardon me our basic purpose is the correction of each others mistake and i hope you correct me as well where you find me wrong)

Let me tell you dams construction are inviting more catastrophy, because not only pristine ecology is destroyed but also decreases the level of underground water which eventually expands the deserts in some regions besides having water logging problem in dams infringes.
The solution lies in smart planning and comprehensive planning.
P.S. don't stereotyped that I'm lobbyist of anti-kalabagh propogator.
I am just asserting my point of argument.

Sir, I agreed with you at all points except GMO, because I am strongly orgainc food campaigner, Id rather suggest you to read" the seeds of destruction by William F.Engdahl.
solution.
Well, I maybe wrong in the figures but as a matter of fact, I was quoting an IMF report titled "Is the glass half empty or half full" which was published 9 months ago in June 2015. If there are more recent figures for per capita water availability then do let me know. I will be highly obliged.

On the GMO issue, if there are problems, as you point out, then we can negotiate our positions in this way: Use of genetically modified food should not be our major weapon to fight this war against water scarcity rather a tactile arsenal to be used in a limited time frame. This will buy us precious time and temporary relief by reducing water demand while we work on sustainable ways of relief. I say this because sustainable development in agriculture does not come overnight and is staged in phases: for e.g. encouraging the culture of growing your own backyard food etc.
Hence these development goals should be rigorously pursued so that they completely phase out GMOs but until then, water conservation through GMOs should be a temporary option on the table.

DamsP.S: we are here for educated discussion and not name-calling so save the thought about being labelled anti-kalabaghi, all puns intended )
Dams have their negative impact but do not all of our advancements and luxuries?I agree that two wrongs do not make a right, but the argument here is that every action is bound to have its positives and negatives does it not?Wind farms kill birds;who knows installation of solar panels on roofs of every building on earth in the name of sustainable resources actually causes excessive heating of the land itself?
The Following User Says Thank You to Abuturab For This Useful Post:
ursula (Monday, April 04, 2016)