Saturday, November 25, 2017
02:41 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Past Papers > CSS 2000 Papers

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Monday, April 18, 2005
Argus's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 755
Thanks: 351
Thanked 2,376 Times in 284 Posts
Argus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to behold
Default English 2000

English (precis & Composition)

TIME ALLOWED: 3 HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
1. MAKE A PR…CIS OF THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE IN ABOUT ONE THIRD OF ITS LENGTH. Suggest a suitable title also. (20)


Besant describing the middle class of the 9th century wrote " In the first place it was for more a class apart. "In no sense did it belong to society. Men in professions of any kind (except in the Army and Navy) could only belong to society by right of birth and family connections; men in tradeóbankers were still accounted tradesmenócould not possibly belong to society. That is to say, if they went to live in the country they were not called upon by the county families and in the town they were not admitted by the men into their clubs, or by ladies into their housesÖ The middle class knew its own place, respected itself, made its own society for itself, and cheerfully accorded to rank the deference due."

Since then, however, the life of the middle classes had undergone great changes as their numbers had swelled and their influence had increased.

Their already well Ėdeveloped consciousness of their own importance had deepened. More critical than they had been in the past of certain aspects of aristocratic life, they wee also more concerned with the plight of the poor and the importance of their own values of society, thrift, hand work, piety and respectability thrift, hand work, piety and respectability as examples of ideal behavior for the guidance of the lower orders. Above all they were respectable. There were divergences of opinion as to what exactly was respectable and what was not. There were, nevertheless, certain conventions, which were universally recognized: wild and drunker behaviors were certainly not respectable, nor were godlessness or avert promiscuity, not an ill-ordered home life, unconventional manners, self-indulgence or flamboyant clothes and personal adornments.

2. Read the following passage and answer the questions given at the end in your own words. (20)
The vitality of any teaching, or historical movement, depends upon what it affirms rather than upon what it affirms rather than upon what it denies, and its survival and continued power will often mean that its positives are insufficiently regarded by opposing schools. The grand positives of Bentham were benevolence and veracity: the passion for the relief of manís estate, and the passion for truth. Bent hamís multifarious activities, pursued without abatement to the end of a long life, wee inspired by a "dominant and all-comprehensive desire for the amelioration of human life"; they wee inspired, too, by the belief that he had found the key to all moral truth. This institution, this custom, this code, this system of legislation-- does it promotes human happiness? Then it is sound. This theory, this creed, this moral teaching Ė does it rightly explain why virtue is admirable, or why duty is obligatory? The limitation of Bentham can be gauged by his dismissal of all poetry (and most religion) as "misrepresentationí; this is his negative side. But benevolence and veracity are Supreme Values, and if it falls to one of the deniers to be their special advocate, the believers must have long been drowsed. Bentham believes the Church teaches children insincerity by making them affirm what they cannot possibly understand or mean. They promise, for example, to fulfill the undertaking of their god---parents, that they will "renounce the devil and all his works, the pomps and vanity of this wicked world" etc. ĎThe Devil" Bentham comments: " who or what is he, and how is it that he is renounced?" Has the child happened to have any dealings with him? Let the Archbishop of Canterbury tell us, and let him further explain how his own "works" are distinguished from the aforesaid "Pomps and Vanity". What king, what Lords Temporal or Spiritual, have ever renounced them? (Basil Willey)

(a) What does the writer mean by the following expressions:

Multifarious activities, amelioration of human Life, it is sound, be their special advocate, Renounce the devil, drowsed, gauged, aforesaid.

(a) On what grounds does Bentham believe that the Church

(b) What is Benthamís philosophy based upon?

(c) What according to the writer is Benthamís limitation?

Teaches children insincerity?

(d) In what context has the Archbishop of Canterbury been quoted i.e. is he praised or condemned?

3. Write a comprehensive note (250 Ė300 words) on ONE of the following subjects:

(20)

(a) Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness (Thomas Pain).

(b) We learn from history that we do not learn from history. (Hegel)

(c) Liberty doesnít work as well in practice as it does in speeches. (Will Rogers)

(d) Politics is strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. (Ambrose Pierce)

4. Correct the following sentences:

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.

(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its usual commission.

(c) We watched the lambs gamble on the green.

(d) He belonged to the gild of carpenters.

(e) He hadnít ought to have spoken.

(f) Is this his half Ė brother?

(g) Hay! Watch out for the car!

(h) This is the historical spot where he was shot dead.

(i) We bought a Japanee print.

(j) Fresh flowers smell sweetly.

5. Use any FIVE of the following idioms in sentences to make their meaning clear:

(i) Blow oneís top,

(ii) A cock-and-bull story,

(iii) Find oneís feet,

(iv) Call it a night,

(v) The tip of the iceberg,

(vi) Below par,

(vii) From pillar to post,

(viii) Hang up,

(ix) Turn some one in,

(x) By and by.

6. Use FIVE of the following pairs of words in sentences of your own to bring out the difference: (10)

Knead, need; Queue, cue; quarts, quartz; choral, coral; discrete, discreet; epoch, epic; Libel, liable; male, mail; banned, band; barred, bard;

7. Complete the conversation with the correct idiom in the correct form: (10)

Keep regular hours, an unearthly hour, the small hours, a night owl, have a night out, at any moment, have oneís moments, have a minute to all oneís own, a night on the town, on the spur of the moment:

"morning, Paul! You look tired". "Yes I am. I had a late night last night. Iím not usually------------------but I ----------------------- ------ with some friends yesterday. I have been so busy all week that Iíve hardly---------------------------------- , so I really enjoyed -------------------------------------------- . I start work early, so I usually -------------- ------- ------ -- but yesterday was an exception. I didnít think. I got into bed and must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew my landlady was shaking me, saying she was sorry to wake me at such----------------------------------- , but she thought there was a burglar in the kitchen".

"Well where was her husband?"

"Mr. Dickís working on the night-shift, and I was the only man in the house. I am usually a coward, but I do-----------------------------------, so I grabbed my tennis racket, which was the only thing I could think of -----------------------------, and crept downstairs".

"And then?"

" I saw a dark figure in the kitchen with a knife in his hand, ready to strike------------------------------ . I was just about to hit him with the racket, when a voice shouted out, " "Hey! Itís me! It was Mr. Dick. He had forgotten his sandwiches".
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Argus For This Useful Post:
ahmed470 (Saturday, November 06, 2010), engraj (Sunday, January 20, 2013), morningcloud (Thursday, January 23, 2014), multithinker (Thursday, December 20, 2012), Riaz Ahmed Alizai (Saturday, December 19, 2009), syedashaheen (Saturday, November 09, 2013), Tariq Hussain Bhatti (Friday, December 02, 2011), Waseemtabish (Friday, November 13, 2009)
  #2  
Old Saturday, December 12, 2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 7
Thanked 144 Times in 67 Posts
God Fearer is on a distinguished road
Default

Question 7:

Complete the conversation with the correct idiom in the correct form: (10)

Keep regular hours, an unearthly hour, the small hours, a night owl, have a night out, at any moment, have oneís moments, have a minute to all oneís own, a night on the town, on the spur of the moment:


"morning, Paul! You look tired". "Yes I am. I had a late night last night. Iím not usually
a night owl but I had a night out, some friends yesterday. I have been so busy all week that Iíve hardly a night on the town so I really enjoyed the small hours. I start work early, so I usually Keep regular hours but yesterday was an exception. I didnít think. I got into bed and must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew my landlady was shaking me, saying she was sorry to wake me at such an unearthly hour, but she thought there was a burglar in the kitchen".

"Well where was her husband?"

"Mr. Dickís working on the night-shift, and I was the only man in the house. I am usually a coward, but I do have my moments so I grabbed my tennis racket, which was the only thing I could think of on the spur of the moment, and crept downstairs".

"And then?"

" I saw a dark figure in the kitchen with a knife in his hand, ready to strike at any moment. I was just about to hit him with the racket, when a voice shouted out, " "Hey!
Itís me! It was Mr. Dick. He had forgotten his sandwiches".

-------------------------

Question1: Precis

Title: Bourgeois of 9th century

Explaining the bourgeois of 9th century, Besant writes that this class had its own values which were not dictated by society. They did not welcome people belonging to upper class into their domain. Middle class had a sense of individuality and respect for itself. In later ages, when they increased in number, they became more aware of their importance and respectable position in society. They criticized lavishness of upper class and acted as role models for lower class. They had their own criterion of respect. Bad behaviour, prodigy and haughtiness were not considered respectable.

Word Count
Original: 282
Precis: 94

-------------------------

4. Correct the following sentences:

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.
(a) The lake froze rapidly.

(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its usual commission.
(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its commission.


(c) We watched the lambs gamble on the green.
(c) We watched the lambs gambling on the green.

(d) He belonged to the gild of carpenters.
(d) He belonged to the guild of carpenters.

(e) He hadnít ought to have spoken.
(e) He hadn't ought to speak. (not sure)

(f) Is this his half Ė brother?
(f) Is he his half-brother?

(g) Hay! Watch out for the car!
(g) Hay! Watch out the car!

(h) This is the historical spot where he was shot dead.
(h) This is the historic spot where he was shot dead.

(i) We bought a Japanee print.
(i) We bought a Japanese print.

(j) Fresh flowers smell sweetly.
(j) Fresh flowers smell sweet.

Last edited by Princess Royal; Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to God Fearer For This Useful Post:
ahmed470 (Saturday, November 06, 2010), fairyrose (Wednesday, June 29, 2016), madiha alvi (Friday, May 03, 2013), Riaz Ahmed Alizai (Saturday, December 19, 2009), ultimatedaniyal (Thursday, April 22, 2010), Young Hafiz (Thursday, August 28, 2014)
  #3  
Old Sunday, December 13, 2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 197
Thanks: 66
Thanked 168 Times in 85 Posts
bunko is on a distinguished road
Default

Excellent work. I am sure you will easily pass English paper.

(f) Is this his half – brother?
(f) Is he his half-brother?

I think Answer is;

Is he his cousin ?
Half-Brother means cousin,
I think i have read it, in Exploring the world of English. (Please Correct me)

And:

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.
(a) The lake froze rapidly.

Answer Is: The lake has frozen rapidly
__________________
كُلُّ نَفْسٍ ذَآئِقَةُ الْمَوْتِ - Every Soul Must Have The Taste Of Death
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunko For This Useful Post:
fairyrose (Wednesday, June 29, 2016), ultimatedaniyal (Thursday, April 22, 2010)
  #4  
Old Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Legend's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Legend is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
(c) We watched the lambs gamble on the green.
(c) We watched the lambs gambling on the green.
I think it might be grazing, as lambs can't gamble on grass.

By the way good going Fearer, we can learn a lot from you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 7
Thanked 144 Times in 67 Posts
God Fearer is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Legend.. you seem right but I just changed the grammatical error and not the incorrect word. I need response from seniors on this. Precis carries a big proportion of marks in essay paper. I advice all of you to do it as much as possible. In paper antonyms, synonyms, idioms, corrections and even direct indirect may give us much problem. We should at least be well prepared for Precis, composition pair of words and paragraph writing. Please share your work too...all of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Fearer View Post
Q

(g) Hay! Watch out for the car!
(g) Hay! Watch out the car!
I just checked it in a book.. it would be... Hey! Watch out for the car.

Last edited by Princess Royal; Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Last Island's Avatar
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModGold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated servicesModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Forest of Fallen Stars
Posts: 7,531
Thanks: 2,405
Thanked 15,686 Times in 4,979 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I think it might be grazing, as lambs can't gamble on grass.

By the way good going Fearer, we can learn a lot from you.
We watched the lambs gamble on the green.

Correction: We watched the lambs gamboling on the green. (to run around in a playful manner).
__________________
The Me you have always known, the Me that's a stranger still.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Last Island For This Useful Post:
Aamish Bhatti (Monday, April 02, 2012), Khadija Noor (Thursday, September 05, 2013)
  #7  
Old Sunday, January 17, 2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fasiha86 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Fearer View Post
(a) The lake free zed rapidly.
(a) The lake froze rapidly.
(j)The lake freezed rapid.
this is the right anwer i think
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Wednesday, January 20, 2010
shallowwater's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 1127
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Faisalabad
Posts: 845
Thanks: 249
Thanked 865 Times in 334 Posts
shallowwater is a name known to allshallowwater is a name known to allshallowwater is a name known to allshallowwater is a name known to allshallowwater is a name known to allshallowwater is a name known to all
Default

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.

The correct answer is

The lake froze rapidly.
__________________
2009,2010,2011
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Da Skeptic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: دیار ِ آرزو
Posts: 251
Thanks: 270
Thanked 256 Times in 155 Posts
Da Skeptic will become famous soon enoughDa Skeptic will become famous soon enough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunko View Post
Excellent work. I am sure you will easily pass English paper.

(f) Is this his half – brother?
(f) Is he his half-brother?

I think Answer is;

Is he his cousin ?
Half-Brother means cousin,
I think i have read it, in Exploring the world of English. (Please Correct me)
Half-Brother is correct.. Half-Brother doesn't mean cousin, it means step-brother. Americans use Half-Brother for step-brother..
Regards..
__________________
"So my birth was the first of all my misfortunes". (Jean Jacques Rosseou)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Skeptic For This Useful Post:
heyuayesha (Tuesday, January 01, 2013)
  #10  
Old Thursday, May 30, 2013
Tehman Khan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mianwali/Pannu Aqil
Posts: 243
Thanks: 170
Thanked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Tehman Khan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Fearer View Post
Question 7:

Complete the conversation with the correct idiom in the correct form: (10)

Keep regular hours, an unearthly hour, the small hours, a night owl, have a night out, at any moment, have oneís moments, have a minute to all oneís own, a night on the town, on the spur of the moment:


"morning, Paul! You look tired". "Yes I am. I had a late night last night. Iím not usually
a night owl but I had a night out, some friends yesterday. I have been so busy all week that Iíve hardly a night on the town so I really enjoyed the small hours. I start work early, so I usually Keep regular hours but yesterday was an exception. I didnít think. I got into bed and must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew my landlady was shaking me, saying she was sorry to wake me at such an unearthly hour, but she thought there was a burglar in the kitchen".

"Well where was her husband?"

"Mr. Dickís working on the night-shift, and I was the only man in the house. I am usually a coward, but I do have my moments so I grabbed my tennis racket, which was the only thing I could think of on the spur of the moment, and crept downstairs".

"And then?"

" I saw a dark figure in the kitchen with a knife in his hand, ready to strike at any moment. I was just about to hit him with the racket, when a voice shouted out, " "Hey!
Itís me! It was Mr. Dick. He had forgotten his sandwiches".

-------------------------

Question1: Precis

Title: Bourgeois of 9th century

Explaining the bourgeois of 9th century, Besant writes that this class had its own values which were not dictated by society. They did not welcome people belonging to upper class into their domain. Middle class had a sense of individuality and respect for itself. In later ages, when they increased in number, they became more aware of their importance and respectable position in society. They criticized lavishness of upper class and acted as role models for lower class. They had their own criterion of respect. Bad behaviour, prodigy and haughtiness were not considered respectable.

Word Count
Original: 282
Precis: 94

-------------------------

4. Correct the following sentences:

(a) The lake free zed rapidly.
(a) The lake froze rapidly.

(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its usual commission.
(b) The firm was unwilling to forego its commission.


(c) We watched the lambs gamble on the green.
(c) We watched the lambs gambling on the green.

(d) He belonged to the gild of carpenters.
(d) He belonged to the guild of carpenters.

(e) He hadnít ought to have spoken.
(e) He hadn't ought to speak. (not sure)

(f) Is this his half Ė brother?
(f) Is he his half-brother?

(g) Hay! Watch out for the car!
(g) Hay! Watch out the car!

(h) This is the historical spot where he was shot dead.
(h) This is the historic spot where he was shot dead.

(i) We bought a Japanee print.
(i) We bought a Japanese print.

(j) Fresh flowers smell sweetly.
(j) Fresh flowers smell sweet.
Part C this gamble means general gambling of money
The word suitable here is gambol
meaning to jump playfully
__________________
Its not the time of triumph that matters rather its the time of trial that matters.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of English literature Naseer Ahmed Chandio English Literature 18 Saturday, October 20, 2012 04:03 PM
Languages by Countries Snobbish General Knowledge, Quizzes, IQ Tests 0 Friday, June 15, 2007 12:27 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.