Monday, October 18, 2021
11:17 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Past Papers > CSS Papers (1971-2015) > CSS 2011 Papers

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old Thursday, March 24, 2011
usman khalid's Avatar
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 22Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2012
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Khairpur, Sindh
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 1,131
Thanked 2,147 Times in 983 Posts
usman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant future
Default

@mani1

If one performs well in a paper and result does not come out accordingly, it necessarily does not mean lack of knowledge/skills/preparation. You should know that FPSC sometimes targets a particular subject and punishes it badly. Same was the case with CSS Accounting and Auditing paper 2009. I personally know candidates scoring below 100 who scored 150+ in their earlier attempts even with less preparation. Although, I am not a an accounting expert but have studied this subject in my bachelors and masters. I don't think paper was as much difficult as you are pretending. If paper is lengthy, conceptual and questions are asked in a different way, it does not mean something too difficult or impossible. Candidates who get use to a particular style and format and don't consider alternative patterns while preparation may face difficulty in such type of paper. CSS Accounting paper may always not be as simple as B.Com. If B.Com style questions and easy objectives have been asked frequently in the exam, it does not mean that it should be considered consistent format and standard to be followed every year. Yes, I agree that objectives were lengthy and difficult to be completed within time. On the whole, this paper may be ranked in between 'difficult' and 'easy'.
__________________
Best end of life is not knowledge but action.
Don't limit yourself to what you think people are expecting!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Friday, March 25, 2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 204
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Amir Shafique is on a distinguished road
Default

@Mani

I second Raz on the income statement issue. Please don't get emotional and pay respect to others. You claim that you respect Raz but your tone was really disrespectful. The paper was a bit different from what they use to set. It was lengthy, specially the MCQs part.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Saturday, March 26, 2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
zulfi215 is on a distinguished road
Default

DEAR MANI,

The Profit and loss account is also known as a "statement of profit and loss", an "income statement"(in US) or an "income and expense statement".

The difference you are emphasizing is related to type of industry i.e. Manufacturing or Services. Manufacturing Concerns term their income statement as P&L account as they have to show their cost of goods sold separately. In 2011 ACCS paper, the question was about a services business so they termed the statement as Income Statement.

Regards,

Zulfiqar Ali (MBA Finance)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Saturday, March 26, 2011
mani1's Avatar
40th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 27
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lahore
Posts: 393
Thanks: 114
Thanked 357 Times in 138 Posts
mani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi215 View Post
DEAR MANI,

The Profit and loss account is also known as a "statement of profit and loss", an "income statement"(in US) or an "income and expense statement".

The difference you are emphasizing is related to type of industry i.e. Manufacturing or Services. Manufacturing Concerns term their income statement as P&L account as they have to show their cost of goods sold separately. In 2011 ACCS paper, the question was about a services business so they termed the statement as Income Statement.

Regards,

Zulfiqar Ali (MBA Finance)
Sir I agree with your point but what I am talking about is Trading & Profit & Loss Account V/S Income Statement. The former has a different format e.g. in Trading Account, Direct costs are all individually listed on LHS to arrive at a Gross Profit which is then included in the Profit & Loss Account where indirect costs are listed on LHS and indirect revenues on RHS to arrive at Net Income. On the other hand, in an income statement, Gross profit is directly arrived at after deducting COGS and a single column format is used unlike the Trading & P/L Account.

I have already said before that end result for both will be same (obviously) but their format and application is different, a fact which can be confirmed from B.Com books where separate chapters and questions are dedicated for both. Plus you can contact any teacher/CA and he will tell you that you can not substitute Trading & P/L Account with Income statement and vice versa, since examiner has explicitly mentioned what he wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Shafique View Post
@Mani

I second Raz on the income statement issue. Please don't get emotional and pay respect to others. You claim that you respect Raz but your tone was really disrespectful.
I know in my heart that I respect him and I do not need your certification. Secondly, please learn that disagreeing with someone or initiating a debate does not necessarily means disrespecting the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman khalid View Post
@mani1

If one performs well in a paper and result does not come out accordingly, it necessarily does not mean lack of knowledge/skills/preparation.
Actually it does. Tests/Exams are specifically formulated to test the ability/aptitude/preparation of a candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman khalid View Post
You should know that FPSC sometimes targets a particular subject and punishes it badly. Same was the case with CSS Accounting and Auditing paper 2009. I personally know candidates scoring below 100 who scored 150+ in their earlier attempts even with less preparation.
Do you have any proof of biasness of FPSC? If yes, please move the court of law so that your grievances may be addressed. If not, lets not debate on presumptions as I can put forward 100s of them too. If anyone scored less, its simply because he did not knew or was over-confident and made some mistake. There is no way examiner would unduly cut marks, especially in a mathematical paper like Accounting where you are either correct or wrong. Had it been a paper like History, I would have inclined towards your point of view but not in case of Accounting. Lets not base our debate on assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman khalid View Post
Although, I am not a an accounting expert but have studied this subject in my bachelors and masters. I don't think paper was as much difficult as you are pretending. If paper is lengthy, conceptual and questions are asked in a different way, it does not mean something too difficult or impossible.
You are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else, and I respect that. Let me clarify here that I am not against anyone's opinion but what I am against is imposing your opinion on someone else, especially when you yourself didn't even give the paper.

I personally felt that paper was hard, and I personally would value opinion of someone who actually gave the paper instead of someone who didn't. That does not however means that I do not respect your or Raz Bhai's opinion. I do; However I am against imposition of opinions. Thats why I said that if anyone feels the paper is easy, kindly solve it and upload it for the benefit of all

Hope everything is clarified
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mani1 For This Useful Post:
Sajni (Sunday, March 27, 2011), usman khalid (Saturday, March 26, 2011)
  #15  
Old Saturday, March 26, 2011
usman khalid's Avatar
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 22Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2012
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Khairpur, Sindh
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 1,131
Thanked 2,147 Times in 983 Posts
usman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani1 View Post

Actually it does. Tests/Exams are specifically formulated to test the ability/aptitude/preparation of a candidate
I agree with you on this point. But what I was talking about that bad result does not necessarily mean lack of preparation/skills etc. There may be many other factors involved. Do you think candidates scoring 700+ score in CSS and unfortunately failing a particular subject will have no aptitude? not prepared? and incompetent? Our examination and marking system has many shortcomings and CSS is no exemption to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
Do you have any proof of biasness of FPSC? If yes, please move the court of law so that your grievances may be addressed. If not, lets not debate on presumptions as I can put forward 100s of them too. If anyone scored less, its simply because he did not knew or was over-confident and made some mistake. There is no way examiner would unduly cut marks, especially in a mathematical paper like Accounting where you are either correct or wrong. Had it been a paper like History, I would have inclined towards your point of view but not in case of Accounting. Lets not base our debate on assumptions.
I don't have any grievances in this regard as I am not a party to this Accounting Paper. However, what I have said about targeting a particular subject is not an individual opinion rather an opinion shared by many aspirants and qualifiers. Well, you are talking about Accouting being a mathematical subject which if done correctly gives good score. Let me remind you some other fact. History is not a mathematical subject in which you can score nearly full marks. But if you have seen the result of Islamic and Indopak histories in CSS 2009, you would notice that candidates scored as high as 188. Not a single candidate might have scored as high in Accounting paper that year. The candidate who scored 170 in Indopak history in 2009 managed to score only 89 in 2010. So this is not only about competency/attitude/prepardness, it is about the trend in a particular year, examiner marking the paper, complexity of the paper etc. it also depends upon luck also.

In 2010, Accounting also proved to be disastrous. A candidate whose both papers went great scored 87. After exams, he solved both paper and get it checked from an experienced accounting teacher of Punjab University who has been a paper setter in different exams. The teacher gave him overall score 170 but his actual was 87. He was very skilled, had great aptitude, and was well prepared but even then scored low despite of having easy accounting paper.

I respect difference of opinions. Every one may have his/her own opinion. I have just tried to emphasize what I have found to be factual and logical.
__________________
Best end of life is not knowledge but action.
Don't limit yourself to what you think people are expecting!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Sunday, March 27, 2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 204
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Amir Shafique is on a distinguished road
Default

@ mani

Quote:
With all due respect, people here know your own performance in 2009 paper. Written posts of yours are available saying how good your papers went but when the result came out you hardly scored any marks (less than 60% if I am correct)
If you call this respect than I can't argue. BTW I am not certifying anything. just want to say that Raz is correct about the income statement vs profit & loss account thing. It means the same.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Sunday, March 27, 2011
mussaa's Avatar
38th CTP (IG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 -Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: on your nerves
Posts: 475
Thanks: 228
Thanked 341 Times in 227 Posts
mussaa has a spectacular aura aboutmussaa has a spectacular aura aboutmussaa has a spectacular aura about
Default

Income statement and Trading/profit&loss account are used for the same purpose. the only difference is the difference of the format as one is made in the statement form and the other is made in T-shape format. If you are asked to make a statement then you can't make an account.
@ mani
bro never write these sort of lines.it doesn't reflect some good manners.
__________________
Shabdon mein kya tareef karoon aap ki MUSSAA
Aap shabdon mein kahan bandh payenge.
Kabhi mere aankhon mein jhaank kar dekho,
Hazaron alfaz khud-b-khud bikhar jayenge.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Sunday, March 27, 2011
Ali Ahmad Syed's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In The Blessings of God
Posts: 751
Thanks: 360
Thanked 1,074 Times in 471 Posts
Ali Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to behold
Default Conceptual

Both the papers were conceptual. I have attempted and I am satisfied with the attempt. I could anticipate 130+ marks.

No doubt, the pattern was changed but papers were not difficult. The MCQs portion of first papers was lengthy, 30 minutes were proved short.

The subjective portion, at first glance, looked a mess but later as I proceed, That's proved really easy. Textual papers, you have to find the things in the questions and place them in the right slot, simply.
__________________
“There is no God but You (Allah Almighty), You are far exalted and above all weaknesses, and I was indeed the wrongdoer”. AL-QURAN
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Sunday, March 27, 2011
game awan's Avatar
Senior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 12143
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 135
Thanks: 163
Thanked 97 Times in 54 Posts
game awan will become famous soon enoughgame awan will become famous soon enough
Default

@ Raz
well brother i am waiting when u would elaborate paper 2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Sunday, March 27, 2011
game awan's Avatar
Senior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 12143
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 135
Thanks: 163
Thanked 97 Times in 54 Posts
game awan will become famous soon enoughgame awan will become famous soon enough
Default

secondly all my respected seniors and my fellow aspirants for css 2011 any paper is tough as well as easy all depends on prep,luck and coping wid nerves ,to be honest paper was conceptual but a changed pattern where either choice was taken out of the equation as we saw in auditing portion to a high jump for taxation numerical in standard.Concepts matter but everyone goes through past papers to get an idea of whats going on so in comparison wid past there was a major shift in pattern and standard
all those lucky ones appearing in 2009 and 2010 come on friends you had some sweet candies while this year it was a bull ( a very tricky and angry bull)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How things work? dr.janxeb General Science Notes 24 Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:07 PM
The Types Of Accounting pakfame Accounting & Auditing 0 Saturday, February 23, 2008 02:41 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.