Tuesday, May 21, 2024
03:59 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, November 16, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Miss_Naqvi has a spectacular aura aboutMiss_Naqvi has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Did PML-Q implemented her manifesto....?

Here I have taken article from DAWN 16th Nov 2007
Link http://www.dawn.com/2007/11/16/top17.htm

Highligted in red are the points that raised so many questions in my mind that I want to know and as per the constitution 1973 from article 19 to 30 I have right to know that is further strengthened by Ordinance of Freedom of Information 2002. I have written a mail to Election Commission of Pakistan showing my concern about the upcoming elections and I do expect that all the members who think that Pakistan is our own country just like our home they should voice for providing it oxygen of democracy.

Below is the message I have sent to ECP:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

With due respect I wanted to know some of the questions and do hope that replies would be made as its my basic right to know what is happening in my country.

Sir I m educated and responsible citizen of Pakistan believe that I have right to know on the basis of freedom of information under the Ordinance of Freedom of Information 2002.

• Who will be judging the tenure of puppet government of PML-Q after the completion of their time period....?
  • What would be the punishment for the party that forgotten its very basic legislative docoment Party's Manifesto...?
  • Who will be the body to highlight the loopholes of this government if media and Supreme Court will remain chained under PCO 2007...?
  • What role ECP can play to hold free and fair elections under the PCO 2007.....?

I am making humble request for the answers to my questions.
I m requesting other members to ask these questions from ECP because its our right. You may have some stronger points then mine but it should be voiced and plz dont let dictators to rule our country any more. Let democracy to prevail. The email address of ECP is info@ecp.gov.pk

And here goes the article published in Dawn

What happened to PML manifesto

By Ashraf Mumtaz

ALTHOUGH the Pakistan Muslim League government did a lot in various sectors during its five-year term, which was the longest enjoyed by any set-up during the past three decades, many of the important commitments made in the 2002 election manifesto remained unfulfilled. While the ‘achievements’ of the government received adequate coverage when they were made, the unfulfilled promises have not been pointed out so far.

The manifesto had been given by the party’s then president Mian Mohammad Azhar, who had to quit the office immediately after the polls as he was defeated on both the National Assembly seats from Lahore that he contested.

The five-year tenure (2002-2007) was shared by three prime ministers — Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali, Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and Shaukat Aziz — but they could not pay much attention to the manifesto. It appears as if none of them got a chance to have a look at the promises made by their party and which they were under obligation to keep.

The manifesto’s first chapter was on ‘Political Reforms’ and its first item committed the party to improving the performance of the government by taking various measures. The first measure was that legislation by presidential ordinances shall be done away with as this militates against the letter and spirit of the parliamentary system.

A good idea, no doubt, but it could not be implemented.

According to Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Kamil Ali Agha, 48 laws were made by the bicameral legislature over the past five years while more than 80 presidential ordinances were issued during the period.

Both the figures are sufficient to explain the ‘performance’ of the parliament and that of the president. These figures also ‘expose’ the authority of the legislators who proudly say that they remained in office for a full five years.

In its new manifesto, the PML will say that the president should have no authority to issue an ordinance when the Senate is in session.

Another commitment was to set up a special TV channel to cover the proceedings of the parliament live.

No step was taken at all for the purpose on a number of occasions the electorate would have liked to watch the performance of their representatives live, but like many of their other desires, this one also remained unfulfilled.

Another commitment made by the PML was: “All major policy decisions of the government shall be made on the floor of the parliament/respective provincial assemblies”.

Needless to point out that President Musharraf has been taking all major decisions, and the ruling party has only been rubber-stamping them.

The role of parliament was not what it should have been. In fact, no major decision was taken by parliament.

The promulgation of the National Reconciliation Ordinance has also exposed the say of the ruling party leadership and the helplessness of the parliament.

Many ministers have admitted that some 80 per cent of the cabinet members were opposed to the NRO, but they could not do anything to stop it. The NRO was issued only because it was a commitment made by President Musharraf.

Interestingly, at a news conference Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz and PML president Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain said that the NRO was a political trick played by the government to outwit the PPP leadership.

The very same day the president’s spokesman said the presidency didn’t subscribe to what the two leaders had said.

Both Mr Aziz and Chaudhry Shujaat had to eat their words and let the dialogue process between the PPP leadership and the presidency go ahead.

That the overall performance of the PML-led government was not satisfactory also because its five-year term ended in the emergency rule, which divided the superior judiciary and imposed curbs on the media.

This also established the ‘ineffectiveness’ of the National Security Council set up by Gen Musharraf despite serious opposition from almost all parties. The NSC met quite a few times, but Leader of Opposition Maulana Fazlur Rehman, one of its members, always stayed away.

In the chapter for “Political Reforms” the party had also committed itself to enacting ‘conflict of interest legislation’ on business activities in cases where any interest pertaining to a member was involved.

No such law could be framed, and now the party’s new manifesto committee is inserting the clause in the new set of promises.

Once such legislation is enacted an industrialist will not qualify to become the minister for industries, a practising lawyer the minister for law and a banker the minister for finance.

The manifesto also committed the party to prescribing limits on the number of ministers and advisers that can be appointed at the centre and in provinces.

This provision was rubbished by the PML leadership. In fact, all records were broken as the prime minister and the chief ministers herded all their favourites in their cabinets. A ministry or a department run by one minister in the past was divided into several parts to accommodate as many people as possible.

In Punjab, for example, one minister in the past used to take care of food, agriculture and livestock. Now, four departments: agriculture, food, livestock and agriculture marketing have been created.

No legislation has been carried out at the federal or provincial levels to set a limit on the number of ministers.

The ‘Political Reforms’ chapter also committed the party to setting up an ethics committee for both the houses to monitor the conduct of legislators.

According to Minister of State Kamil Ali Agha, no such committee has been formed to date.

The PML manifesto dedicated a separate chapter to ‘Citizens’ Rights’.

It says: “Harassment of citizens by government agencies shall be considered an offence.”

Everybody knows that the commitment was not honoured. Secret agencies picked up an unspecified number of people from various places, citing no reasons.

The Supreme Court took up the cases of such people and a number of them were set free.

But the president did not tolerate the initiative taken by the Supreme Court. At a news conference he complained that the Supreme Court had exceeded its limits by taking up the cases of such ‘terrorists’. He alleged that the people freed by the court were involved in terrorist activities in various parts of the country.

The deposed judges’ argument that they set some people free because the government could not prove charges against them was ignored.

Yet another commitment made in the same chapter is: “The culture of police stations shall be changed to stop illegal harassment of citizens”.

Anyone coming in contact with police for any reason knows to what extent the government has been able to achieve this target.
Old Thursday, November 22, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Miss_Naqvi has a spectacular aura aboutMiss_Naqvi has a spectacular aura about
Arrow

I think the request fell short of some basic elements that could cater attention of the visitors to realize the seriousness of the issue.

As the date for election is finally announced and it is voiced that new elections would be free and fair held under this interim government.

If the major political parties are not participating in elections what would be the result of it....?

Would we get true democracy....?

Would there be a dummy parliament again for ruling the country in abyss....?

These are the questions disturbs every thinkful mind so we have to think over it and only young generation can bring a revolutionary change by casting their votes to the persons having dignity in their character.
Old Thursday, November 22, 2007

Location: Jhang my Birth Place, Multan & Lahore My Study Places, Now in Dubai doing Job
Tipu Shah is on a distinguished road

@ Miss Naqvi
Quote:
only young generation can bring a revolutionary change by casting their votes to the persons having dignity in their character.
100% agree with u Miss Naqvi. I think all other members must agree with Miss Naqvi on this above point.