CSS Forums

CSS Forums (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/)
-   Discussion (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/general/discussion/)
-   -   GEO should be banned? (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/general/discussion/91671-geo-should-banned.html)

usmanwrites Thursday, April 24, 2014 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=Artemis;715359]

Right or wrong, true or untrue an opinion was expressed. The institution with grievance should go public as well and complain only if there point of view isn't covered by media. You can not punish people or institutions just because they have a particular point of view. This is basic fundamental right; God damn it! :))[/QUOTE]

I agree to your points except above one. There is differences between giving opinion and levelling allegation. They were not giving opinion rather they were shaping the opinion of the gullible masses!
Time is ripe to teach media a lesson who are bent on transforming media into judiciary. God damn it they are acting as judge soon they will start policing if they had not!

Gypsified Thursday, April 24, 2014 04:14 PM

[QUOTE]You are straining your point against ISI. Without preliminary investigation, one cant demand resignation of its Head. Let the aggrieved formally allege ISI chief in the FIR, we will surely try to muscle its chief out of his job[/QUOTE]

I'm also asking for investigation, not any resignation. But the real point is the banning of Geo because of this incident, and that does not make any sense at all.

usmanwrites Thursday, April 24, 2014 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=Gypsified;715375]

It's very interesting that the same people who are screaming their lungs about media ethics and regulations (on television and in general) have never so much as remotely insinuated at all the extra-judicial measures of intelligence agencies and to bring them under regulations.[/QUOTE]

Yes we are all in for the regulation of security agency but seems like you are screaming your lungs about unregulated media. It seems you want media to be an umtamable beast (like ISI). Ok ISI is on wrong side but does it suggest that we should let media go with its unethical practices and their nefarious agenda?

Invincible Thursday, April 24, 2014 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=Gypsified;715399]I'm also asking for investigation, not any resignation. But the real point is the banning of Geo because of this incident, and that does not make any sense at all.[/QUOTE]

[B]Geo would be penalized for sure, if ISI gets out of this mess as victorious.
[/B]

Gypsified Thursday, April 24, 2014 05:07 PM

[QUOTE]Yes we are all in for the regulation of security agency but seems like you are screaming your lungs about unregulated media. It seems you want media to be an umtamable beast (like ISI). Ok ISI is on wrong side but does it suggest that we should let media go with its unethical practices and their nefarious agenda?[/QUOTE]

I did not ask for that. Don't make things up. If it helps, read my comments again.

[QUOTE]Geo would be penalized for sure, if ISI gets out of this mess as victorious.[/QUOTE]

Of course it should be penalized, but not banned either way.

Call for Change Thursday, April 24, 2014 05:23 PM

Attack on Hamid Mir is very unfortunate and such incidents should be condemned strongly but the way GEO treated and presented this issue is also very shameful. Without any prove they were accusing the DG ISI (who is definitely very important person) and I was amazed to watch the "GEO Bashing" of ISI. If they had any doubts of ISI's involvement they could have lodge an FIR against ISI but criticizing it so openly on Television leaves a mark on the agendas of GEO. According to article 19 of constitution there are few limits for media and "respect of Pakistan's Sovereignty and Integrity " is one of those. Army and ISI are definitely symbols of Pakistan's Sovereignty as they protect us from enemies from both outside and inside. One must not defame them or indulge in any such activity which decrease their moral. PEMRA must take strong action against GEO and Geo must apologize for its behavior. Their treatment of this issue was against LAW and against MEDIA ETHICS.

mhmmdkashif Thursday, April 24, 2014 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Invincible;715405][B]Geo would be penalized for sure, if ISI gets out of this mess as victorious.
[/B][/QUOTE]

nahh... ISI is already victorious, it has strong backing from the Army while Geo's back up is flinching :dd, maybe there will be minor penalty on Geo but nothing much :D. ISI would be keen not to make a situation where entire journalist community rallies behind Geo, and many have already made clear that despite their differences they would not allow banning of a media outlet :joker

If the attackers on Hamid Mir belonged to ISI, it seems they have achieved their goal.

Muhammad T S Awan Thursday, April 24, 2014 09:21 PM

matfq and artemis et al,

my friends, please read concluding para of my post, i repost it here,

vi).[B] I condemn shooting of Hamid Mir, but also condem the killings of innocent people[/B] be they member of any religious group (Shia, Sunni) or ethnicity (Baloch Pashtun) or any institution (Amry, Police, ISI)... [B]State institutions should follow the law but non-state instutions should also not be let loose to do whatever they wish to do.[/B] Dont make it a laissez-faire.. And [B]nobody should be allowed to raise fingers on any institution without proof [/B]and it should be responsibility of the legal system to determine if somebody is innocent or not. Further, as per my information, an important step for legal action is lodging of FIR and to my surprise the FIR was not lodged by the family nor it contain anything against any state institution. Then why was so hue and cry on the media.....

I hope it suffices your concerns about my point of view :).

Regards

Mods, I was trying to edit my previous email. BUt it was not being done due to time bar. You may like to merge both of the posts, thanks.

2). Artemis, quote your last para ,"Right or wrong, true or untrue an opinion was expressed. The institution with grievance should go public as well and complain only if there point of view isn't covered by media. You can not punish people or institutions just because they have a particular point of view. This is basic fundamental right; God damn it! " . As per my opinion, unequivocal condemning of any state institution with great hue and cry and without any proof cannot be termed basic fundamental right. I dont say ISI is a sheep or a holy cow, but if Geo was so sure of their allegations, then why did they not lodge any proper complaint through FIR. They could name ISI in FIR or for matter that his family could had done it. but they did not even lodge any FIR.. .. The aggrieved institution i.e. ISI followed the proper legal procedure and they lodged a compaint with the relevant regulatory body. Geo can deny allegations, it has 14 days time period and show cause does not mean that Geo is going to be banned outrightly, they have time to defend them and present their own point of view. Calm, let them do so.

matfq Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:30 PM

Perhaps GEO and all those institutions that level allegations without proof would learn something from Surah Hujrat Verse no.6:

"O you who believe! If some transgressor brings you news (that requires taking action), verify it carefully (before you believe and act upon it), lest you harm a people in ignorance and then become regretful for what you have done."

The foresight of Quran is truly remarkable in the context of this issue.

With that said and without going off topic, GEO should not be banned. Instead, the management team must be put under scrutiny and should be fire if found guilty. Shutting an entire channel down due to the wrongs of a few is a show of force, not of justice.

ADIL KHESHGI Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=Chap X;715259]Army is a defence institute at the very first place. Yes some pseudo and half-baked "intellectuals" like Ayesha Jalal try to portray Pak Army as a corporation running its operations and earning money by the virtue of their might and status in Pakistan. The one who has any doubt should consider scores of lives sacrificed by our army in defence of Pakistan. It is shameless to malign our defence institutes in such a critical time. Considering the regional situation and history, a powerful army is need of Pakistan. Just compare its performance and budget with those of Indian Army. You will realize where our army stands. ISI is the first line of defence of Pakistan and if someone tries to make it weaker he is just aiding our enemies.
As far as Hamid Mir's case is concerned, the role of GEO has been very detrimental for our national interest. It is the court that will decide who is real culprit. But the lot of anchorpersons of GEO think that they themselves are chief justice here and they DEMAND resignation of DG ISI to clear himself before their courts. It is ridiculous, isn't? Imagine just imagine one of the best intelligence agencies of the world could not get rid of one journalist. :laughing GEO should be banned and if PEMRA does not do it...Pakistanis themselves should stop watching this channel.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me fellow, but is it not Ayesha Siddiqa the author of "Military Incorporated: Inside Pakistan's Militiary Economy" instead of Ayesha Jalal?

01:10 AM (GMT +5)

vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.