Tuesday, May 28, 2024
12:07 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > Punjab Public Service Commission > PCS / PMS > PMS Past Papers > PMS Papers 2006

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, December 04, 2006

111 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Paper: English Including Essay (pms-2006)

PUNJAB PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION

PMS-2006

PAPER: ENGLISH INCLUDING ESSAY

TIME ALLOWED:THREE HOURS MAX MARKS:150

Q.1 Select any ONE of the following topics and write a comprehensive essay on it : (50 marks)

(1) Poverty Alleviation- A Dream or Reality
(2) A Public Office is Public Trust
(3) Predicament of Modern Man
(4) Internet Addiction
(5) Need for National Disaster Management Service
(6) Rites and Rituals
(7) First Deserve,then Desire

Q.2 Use any FIVE of the following phrases/idiomatic expressions in sentences (15 marks)

(i) A cry in wilderness (ii) Look your age (iii) All that jazz (iv)An uphill task
(v) Evil genius (vi) Point blank (vii) Under the auspices of (viii) Go Down

Q.3 Construct sentences to distinguish between the meanings of any FIVE of the following pairs of words. (15 marks)

Bad, Bade ; Gag,Gauge ; Mead,Meed; Fury, Furry; Memorable, Memorial ;
Jewry,Jury ; Glad,Glade; Quake,Quack

Q.4 Rewrite any FIVE of the following sentence after making necessary corrections: (10 marks)

1) The mankind should love the nature.
2) The ailing patient had better to go to the doctor.
3) Pakistanis are desirous to go to abroad.
4) Shakespear is more famous that any English Dramatist.
5) Having Crossed the River, the road looked clear before them.
6) My statement is based on facts ,and I will not withdraw.
7) I sent a verbal message to my friend.
8) He asked me politely if i will go now.

Q.5 Fill in the blanks in any FIVE of the following sentences. (10 marks)

1) The crew could not be bale ____of the blazing plane.
2) The tree fell ______when its roots were exposed.
3) The tide ebbed____leaving behind sea weeds and rubbish.
4) Water rose rapidly and began to run ______.
5) He was rapidly injured, he will pull______.
6) He dispensed______my services.
7) I was quite cowed______by the otherman's threats.

Q.6 Translate the following passage into English. (20marks)

Asar-e-hazir elmi taraqqi ki intehaon ko choo raha hae.Taraqqi yafta aqwam ka turra-e-imtiaz aala
taleemi myyar hae.Es muqsad k hasool main nasab aur darsi kutub ko bunyadi ahmiat hasil hae.Jin
ko jadeed taqazoon se hum-aahung karna hamari hakoomat ka taleemi maidan ko fooqyat daena sabit karta hae.Zindgee kay aala myyar k hasool main elmi taraqi aur aala myyar bunyad ka darja rakhtey hain.Hakoomat es bunyyad ki farahmi kay liye maqdoor bhar koshishain kar rahi hae.Dua hae kay hamari nasul-e-noo jadeed taleemi taqazoon ko mad-e-nazar rakh kar Pakistan ki taameer-o-taraqi main bhurpur kirdar adaa karey.

Q.7 Make a Precis of the following passage and suggest a suitable title: (30 marks)

All human beings are liable to err. To be at peace with oneself,the realization of this fact is essential.Humanity is faced with numerous struggles and difficulties.We should view our own problems as part of a universal struggle and brace ourselves to meet every difficulty with fortitude.To be frantic and desperate n such occasions cannot help the situation .Perhaps the greatest folly is for each of us to hug his troubles to himself.Often the path through our worst worries can be made smoother if we seek the guidance of a trusted friend. But there are limits to human wisdom.The only adequate way to endure large evils is to find large consolations.The key to this search is prayer.The faith in a beneficent "Higher Power" can carry us through our most anxious moments.It has cured many people of their diseases and banished melancholy from their hearts.It was faith in God coupled with hardwork, which enabled Alexis Carrel to face ridicule and rejection calmly and finally became the recipient of the Nobel Prize.Finally ,how much less we should be if we could see our struggle as a part of the struggle of a whole creation intent on growth and renewal. By doing so, we not only make our lives easier ,but we also add our bit to the sum of human dignity and faith.

bl chughtai (Wednesday, March 14, 2012)
Old Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,576 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of

Is there anyone to guide me about Q no.5?

farasat_ali will become famous soon enoughfarasat_ali will become famous soon enough

This is preposition

mariashamshad will become famous soon enough

@farah
yes dear yahan pe suitable words fit karny hein like preposition.jo k suit karti ha. ar jo words ham correction mei use karty hein
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of

@Farasat;

You mean;
2) The tree fell down when its roots were exposed.

I thought the same but Farasat see sentence no 1;

1) The crew could not be bale ____of the blazing plane.

OF tou khud preposition hai,is k sath kia aa skta hai bhala?

@Maria can you Please solve?

farasat_ali will become famous soon enoughfarasat_ali will become famous soon enough

i think 2nd form of bale will be use here

ku k be k baad always 2nd fom use hoti hai
So not sure but according to me it will be baled just d

Last edited by Princess Royal; Friday, July 01, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Monday, June 27, 2011

cateyes is on a distinguished road

guys yeh to 150 marks ka paper bun raha ha n iss ma seprate essay paper q nai hai whts the scene kiya dono paper combine anay hain
Old Friday, July 01, 2011

salmamirza is on a distinguished road
Exclamation salaam

here is answer to your questionQ.5
Fill in the blanks in any FIVE of the following sentences. (10 marks)

1) The crew could not be baled out of the blazing plane.
2) The tree fell down when its roots were exposed.
3) The tide ebbed away leaving behind sea weeds and rubbish.
4) Water rose rapidly and began to run over.
5) He was rapidly injured, he will pull out.
6) He dispensed off my services.
7) I was quite cowed down by the otherman's threats.

to me these are correct but any one finds mistake please make it correct
Old Monday, July 04, 2011
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateyes View Post
guys yeh to 150 marks ka paper bun raha ha n iss ma seprate essay paper q nai hai whts the scene kiya dono paper combine anay hain
Dear See paper of 2009,I think the pattern has been changed.Essay paper was not combined with English composition.
Old Tuesday, March 13, 2012
DDO SW

umarbajwa is on a distinguished road

1) The mankind should love the nature.
The mankind should be loving the nature
2) The ailing patient had better to go to the doctor.
The ailing patient had better to see the doctor.
3) Pakistanis are desirous to go to abroad.
Pakistanis are desirous to go abroad.
4) Shakespear is more famous that any English Dramatist.
Shakespeare is more famous than any English Dramatist.
5) Having Crossed the River, the road looked clear before them.
Having crossed the river, the road had looked clear before them.
6) My statement is based on facts ,and I will not withdraw.
My statement is based on facts and I will not be withdrawn.
7) I sent a verbal message to my friend.
I have sent a verbal message to my friend.
8) He asked me politely if i will go now.
He asked to me politely that if i will go now.
bl chughtai (Wednesday, March 14, 2012)