View Single Post
Old Sunday, March 19, 2017

De Despot is on a distinguished road
Default Appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by S R Bhutto View Post
Translation

In order to know ones weaknesses, it is essential to determine what our enemies think of us. Our friends mostly praise us to flatter us. Firstly, our weaknesses are not classified as any kind of weakness by them or they care so much about us that they don’t want to disappoint us by disclosing our weaknesses. Or they try to hide them themselves. On the contrary, our enemies expose us a lot and search for our weaknesses from every possible angle. An enemy makes a mountain of a mole hill. A friend always tries to enhance the positive side of his/her friend while an enemy does the other way round. Therefore, we should be thankful/ greatly indebted to our enemy who informs us about our weaknesses. In the light of this, it could be said that an enemy is better than a friend
S R Bhutto, good efforts. Your translation is accurately satisfactory. I (being a junior) can't see any obvious defects in your translation. Don't skip putting apostrophe in
Quote:
ones
Give a read-up to my translation below (nearly proximate):

"In order to find our hidden shortcomings, it is essential to see what our enemies say. Our friends often praise us to satisfy our anticipations. Firstly, our weaknesses do not seem to be weaknesses to our friends or they care us so much that they hide or veil our weaknesses to not to disappoint us. Contrary to this, our enemy denounces/discredits us very much and hunts for our weaknesses from every possible aspect. In his enmity, he overestimates our little shortcomings. A friend always overemphasises our goodness and an enemy our shortcomings. Therefore, we should be thankful to our enemy more as he introduces us from our shortcomings. Viewed from this standpoint, our enemy proves to be better than our friend."

Underlined "veil" given for the next sentence "un se chasham poshi karte haen".
and the sentence in Italic is translated in context to its preceding sentence. (possible inaccurate, though...)

Did you get it inexact somewhere? Just mark-out I will be happy.
Many Thanks.