View Single Post
Old Monday, October 27, 2008
36th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: 9th Position-CSS 2007

Muhammad Usman Mehsud is on a distinguished road
Default @ Revival of Commissioner System

Dear forum fellows!
Besides this news being good news to all the DMGs, it is also a right step in the right direction. From day one, people were opposed to the system due to some inherent flaws in it. Over the past 7 years, the biggest achievements of LBS are huge corruption, reign of gangsters, encroachment, skyrocketting prices of daily commodities, and worsening law and order situation. Above all, LBS was an attack on provincial autonomy and paralysis of civil bureaucracy.
In my view, the revival of commissioner system will improve law and order, lessen corruption, stabilize the prices, end encroachment and restore people's confidence in the working of government institutions.
While respecting the view that the third tier of public representation at the local level is necessary, i must say that this must never paralyse the bureaucracy which is the delivery arm of the state.
International Crises Group recently said in its report that the LBS was devised to curtail the powers of the civil bureaucracy and give a chance to the military bureaucracy for dominating the civilian institutions. This i think has perfectly unfolded the the intentions of our great dictator.
As far the 6th Schedule is concerned, it is stated that the things contained therein cannot be ammended/altered/abolished without the prior approval of the President up to 7 years.that will lapse after few months.After that it can be amended through ordinary parliamentary process.
DMG may have its own flaws but at least in their days, the government departments in the districts were integrated.
The issue is open to comments.