View Single Post
Old Friday, May 29, 2020

Innocent Hafeez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishalam View Post
I'll try and give my thoughts on your outline in another post but for now I'd like to tackle the second half of your query namely how to write points in an outline? There are generally two ways to list the points; headings and sentences (I'm including the question statements as a sub-set of the sentences form). Sentences are considered undesirable simply because an outline should tell the reader what points you are going to cover with only a quick glance or a skim read. The CSS exam checkers are infamous for giving marks on the outline alone so this is a very important point to talk about as it effects the overall impression.

Now my personal opinion is that neither method of presenting the points is superior to the other. They both have their inherent advantages and disadvantages. I've developed a general rule of thumb which helps me maintain a good balance; Headings for the main body and sentences for the arguments. Let me give an example. Below is an outline I created as an entry for an Essay competition recently. The topic was "Do we really need literature?"

I. Introduction
II. What is literature?
III. Do we really need literature?
A. Literature as a “mirror”
1. We can recognize and better understand aspects of ourselves.
2. We can recognize aspects of our society and societies gone by.
B. Literature as a “time-machine” and “passport”
1. We can travel through time and observe life, sometimes firsthand, as those that came before us experienced it.
2. We can experience events, cultures and customs from other parts of the world- real and fictional.
C. Literature as a “window” and “lens”
1. We can look out and see the world as other people see it.
2. We can appreciate perspectives other than our own.
D. Literature as a “wise mentor”
1. We can learn tolerance, empathy, and acceptance by reading about other people’s perspectives.
2. We can squash prejudices and biases by reading literature from people outside the groups we belong to.
E. Literature as a “catalyst for change”
1. We can be shown the flaws and injustices in our current status quo.
F. Literature as a “custodian of values”
1. We can use literature as a socialization tool to pass on values from one generation to the next.
G. Literature as an “event simulator”
1. We can be forewarned about consequences through reading about the actions and decisions of others.
H. Literature as a “soothsayer” and “harbinger”
1. We can heed the warnings of the writers before our time that saw faults with our systems more clearly then we can see them today.
I. Literature as an “inspiration”
1. We can draw inspiration from literature for other art forms like film, music, and fashion.
2. We can be inspired by the imaginative thinking of writers to bring about real world innovation and advancements.
J. Literature as an “escape” and “entertainment”
1. We can lose ourselves in the comfort of a good read away from our own sometimes harrowing realities.
2. We can comfortably spend our free time enjoying books.
K. Literature as a “friend”
1. We can form communities of literature lovers online and in real life.
2. We can turn to our books as reliable and infallible friends.
IV. Conclusion

As you can see in the outline above, I've used points formed as "catchy" headings as the main topics and for the sub-topics/arguments I've used sentences in order to better explain how I would be tackling that specific topic. You can adapt this method to essays which wouldn't follow such a simple structure by using headings for arguments and sentences for examples.

Also as to your question about making them more vivid and attractive simply follow a theme or a fun opening that makes it's way through all the points in the outline. You get better at this with practice. Your mind is a muscle and forming links and setting a structure is a specific skill set it needs to learn. The more often you do it, the easier it gets and the quicker you can do it as well.
aishalam, thanks for sharing your way of handling essays, it is perhaps new technique i am seeing, but quite helpful. Kindly, check my outline and introduction to this topic. Your valuable suggestions are awaited. Request: If possible, make outline of single topic, this would help us choose the best one.
How far can digitalization help in socioeconomic development in Pakistan?
Outline
1. Introduction

Thesis statement: Given the scope and significance of digitalization, it will undoubtedly prove conducive for social and economic development of Pakistan.
2. defining the concept
3. different forms of digitalization
4. scope of digitalization in modern times
5. Can digitalization help in socioeconomic development of Pakistan?

Yes, digitalization can really help in socio-economic development of Pakistan by:
5.1 ensuring quick delivery of services
5.2 helping advance communication tools
5.3 modernizing education system
5.4 coping with diseases and environmental disasters
5.5 fostering electric finance
5.6 boosting export sector
5.7 providing new job opportunities
5.8 strengthening national security
5.9 improving production techniques in agricultural and industrial sectors
6. An overview of current position of digitalization in Pakistan
Pace of digitalization in Pakistan is slow and unsatisfactory due to:
6.1 lack of resources
6.2 illiteracy
6.3 poor access to technology
6.4 cultural constraints
7. Ways to deal with problems and ensure digitalization in Pakistan
7.1 political will of concerned authorities
7.2 manage economic crisis
7.3 spread effective education
7.4 invest on information technology
7.5 address concerns of local industry
8. Conclusion
Essay
Digitalization is one of the aspects of modern technology. It is considered the key to nation’s development at social, political, economic and cultural levels. It influences states and their policies through its various forms and outlets. Its scope and significance cannot be denied, especially in this time and age, as it has turned the world into a global village. In countries like Pakistan, digitalization can play a conducive role for socio-economic progress of the country. If adopted effectively, digitalization will ensure quick delivery of services, make citizens fully informed by advancing communication tools as well as help check malpractices. Besides, it will maximize job opportunities and will strengthen country’s security and education system. In addition, it will foster state’s trade via new and improved production technique, which, in turn, will uplift the falling exports of the nation. However, despite such benefits, the current position of digitalization in Pakistan paints a dismal picture. Though policy makers have taken some initiatives to expedite digital system in the country, its pace and progress remains slow due to certain impediments. Addressing these hurdles will require a pragmatic approach to ensure an effective and sound digitalization of the country.