View Single Post
Old Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sam is on a distinguished road
Default Laid up

lay sb up [usually*passive] if sb is laid up, they are unable to work, etc. because of an illness or injury:
She’s laid up with a broken leg.
Ref: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English

lay up transitive verb
2. confine somebody with injury or illness: to prevent somebody from leading a normal active life, usually temporarily because of injury or illness
Ref:Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

I confess Ms Saania is absolutely right about "stood out". But the rest of the sentence is to remain same because there is a confusion about the door due to the use of pronoun "its". Mr THE 1, I wasn't really trying to teach anyone, I just wrote the rules intact. I appologize if I offended you. The sentence should be like this:
The house, because of its red door, stood up in the dull street.
The door, of course, belongs to the house. But you have to make it clear in the sentence.

About dedication, I wrote this word has a positive meanings in itself, so it couldn't be used with negative things like cheating and lying. The suitable word, thus, is addicted that is used for such negative habits.

Your objection about "that" is accepted, that doesn't make much difference. When did I say it did? I just mentioned that I made a little change in that.

Can somebody please tell me the sense of that sentence. Even the meanings you people want to be taken from the corrections you made in sentence number 3.

Well, I won't be able to give much time here so you people are requested not to wait for my responses.

Anyway, thanks Ms Saania for the correction, I truly appreciate it.