View Single Post
Old Sunday, March 12, 2006
37th Common
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008 - Merit 120

Adil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really nice

Salaam,

Finally, the innerself yielded and my pledge not to disturb the healthy flow of the discussion has crumbled down to pieces. I am reneging. Sorry for that.

I have read the concerns of all the people here. I agree with some and disagree with the others.

I think that relations with a foreign country are not bad at all. There are some people who say that we should break up our ties with super powers like America due to their malicious attitude towards us. I do not agree with such people here. India has long stood non-aligned. Finally, it has adopted US as her mother. I do not doubt the competence of Indian rulers. They are running the world's biggest democracy and obviously know better than us what's healthy for the state. So this implies that non-alignment is no longer possible.

No matter US signed a nuclear deal with India. She looked at her own interest. If Pakistan failed to attract her crush, it's Pakistan's fault not of US. It's a very basic principle of Foreign Policy that it's always formulated on the basis of self-interests. (So do not curse USA for this). Be worth something to have it. If USA doesn't agree, we have China. It's already offering assistance in Chashma-II (325MW).

Also, India knows how to deal with foreign countries. We don't. We just bow down in subservience at the slightest gesture [in Sindhi: ALLAH RE, GHORA RE, BABA RE - MUNKHEY PEHENJI GOD MEIN KHARI WATH]. India has the capacity to resist since it has the power of its people. Their governments aren't supported by foreign powers.

Our relations with America are between rulers - rulers, not people - people as in India (since the rulers reflect people). Our rulers work in the self interest (a point repeated to death) and India's work for their country. They know if the do good they will be re-elected. Our leaders don't do anything commendable enough to get them re-elected. Hence they don't trust the people and find other ways out. The best way leads to a pilgrimmage in America.

We need to get rid of this dilemma. We need to maintain a balance. We should not act as servants (which is however an inherent component of the type of government that we have).

I believe, democracy doesn't sprout up all of a sudden. People today are not in the position to make a choice. This is the ripe time for Musharraf to erect a conducive atmosphere. He needs to work out on education. He has to establish institutions like Judiciary (this maintains rule of law), Bureaucracy (this implements the policies. If this is weak, no country can work), Pressure Groups (for policy analysis) and Legislative (the most important). The democracy that will emerge after the plot is laid, will be a stable one. Today if we hold elections, people will elect Nawaz Sharif or Benazir - what will change? None will elect Imran Khan (my favourite). Haha... I am not from his party but I appreciate whatever he says.

After such good work, even if Musharraf is re-elected, I do not have any problem with him. We have nothing to do with the name. If he works for us, we'll elect him.

Musharraf according to me hasn't done well all these years. I believe, if a dictator is sincere, he can do anything. But we are still at the point we started from. Corruption is rampant. Education has cancer. Poverty is above 70%. Unemployment is touching new heights. We are getting engulfed in the darkness of terrorism. Inflation is at an unprecedented level. What has changed? All those self-proclaimed economic indicators. Brothers, they mean nothing to a common man. Musharraf has failed to work out on a trickle down effect. He has not provided any relief to a common man.

His devolution plan has dissolved the bureaucracy and replaced well trained officers with duffers to rule the country. How will it work?

That's a million dollar question.

Regards

(Tol be continued)

Adil Memon
Police Service of Pakistan (P.S.P)
37th Common Training Program