View Single Post
Old Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dr.G.AsgharMemon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Preshan Gul Frankly speaking it astonished me a lot to see the level of inability or unwillingness of you guys to comprehend my point. Frustrated by the overwhelming avariciousness that has encroached upon our society in recent times I just presented a simple observation that our young men are kindling their aspiration for CSP from three ‘Pzz’ rather than from the earnest desire of serving the country. I suggested the example of Doctors leaving their profession; which is otherwise considered very noble and lucrative in our society (though I personally consider every profession noble in its own capacity); for the sake of three Pzz. You may have repudiated my three P theory but you all, overtly or covertly, accepted my basic assumption and differed in details. I do not have any grudge against Doctors competing in CSS exams neither have I any “insecurity”(as one brother assumed in his post) but I can not, in any way, reconcile with the idea that an ASP maintaining status quo is better than a Doctor healing wounded and curing agonized. If the ideal is that by being CSP a Doctor would one day be able to alleviate the plight of millions of oppressed souls by virtue of his role as a policy maker or implementer, it really is a very laudable notion and should be appreciated but a deep look into the matter tells another story. When a Doctor leaves his profession for the sake of joining Civil Service he actually debases his primary profession. He considers it inferior and shows his dissatisfaction with his present lot. So I do not see any reason why after joining Civil Service, keeping in view his present unstable nature, if given the chance he wouldn’t switch to another profession that he has later come to know as better than a CSP. If he can leave his primary profession that he gave some of the best years of his youth and a lot of his mental labors why can not he leave his second profession. So can our poor country afford such wavering adventurists??? I wish our honorable Doctors joining CSS could lessen the plight of poor masses but, unfortunately, I couldn’t find a single instance of a Doctor becoming a Civil Servant and alleviating the plight of “millions” by his policy making in the 62 year history of Pakistan. I hope the present Doctors who desire to join Civil Service in the near future would do this marvel.

Another point raised by a brother in which he tried to quote lawyers and Bankers and other such professions with medical amazed me even more. Are you really oblivious of the fact that administration (which is what CSPs do) is directly related with law??? Do you sincerely feel that knowledge of economics has got nothing to do with administration????

My basic aim in penning down this article was to give the young aspirants an impetus to delve deep into their hearts and analyze the sources of their motivation. I sincerely believe that a young man joining Civil Service for the sake of power can not be, in any way, profitable for this country. I am sorry that my intention in forwarding the example of doctors to prove my point was completely misunderstood and some members tried to knock me down and my ‘gibberish’ angered them a lot. I respect their ideas and arguments sincerely and hope that they would continue to show me ‘the right path’ in the future too
Dear preshan gul, for every argument, there are two ways. one is superficial, the other is deep. u can observe a thing,for example, a cube,from its outer look and describe it every possible minute detail, u can follow from ur observation. But, Do u know it in entirety ? its internal structure, how atoms are linked with oneanother, how molecules ,if any, bond eachother.... ideally, even if u know all these things, u can not claim to be the 'cube' just because u know all details about it. rather ur observation remains completly subjective and objective.
There is definately a modicum of truth in your assumptions. But, these assumptions are not universal in nature. When you say , that you have not come across a single doctor in 62 years....who alleviated plight of millions. You r sweeping a generalization here. u shud watch ur words very carefully. not that other person might be offended but because ur own reasoning is deficient in facts and figures.
Secondly, Being a doctor is indeed very noble. But,where is noblity located on maslow theory of motivation?? i hope u wud ,for the sake of general knowledge go thru that theory.
for layman, it suffices to assume, that ur bodily processes are working in best possible condition for u to think effectively. We know, when there is even derangment of a single enzyme or gene function, or single chromosomal error like in the case of Down syndrome. the affected person becomes mentally ill.
In pakistan, specially, a doctor has to study for 7 years[mbbs+housejob+turn over period bw batches to assume residency] to get just a bachelor degree. this phenomenon is prevalent everywhere, but the people becoming doctors of tomorrow can not afford to go long periods. Then to get postgraduate degree u have to pass fcpsI , then apply for residency, again take test in any reputed hospital. and get enrolled in first year of pg. it takes approx another 5-6 years just to complete training of part 2 fcps. then u have to take exam, which most candidates fail. only lucky ones pass in their first attempt. But even if u pass in first attempt, if u hv a chance to visit market value of doctors in RS. an FCPS is hired at 30000 to 40000 RS. here i m not taking into consideration job resposnibilty. which includes night duties, double and triple duties which go for 48 hours in some instances!!
Now, compare a doctor, who has taken multiple tests from premedical time to post graduate degree. a simple sipoi in police has more respect than he has. in rural areas, u will not be able to recog bw a doctor and accussed in court of law,where a doctor out of his job has to produce a medical certificate....
the argument goes that doctors,even thou serving for a noble cause are not respected in our society.
A css officer, after just b.a degree, that too privately, can become a part of adminstration. that is not pitiable, because they are rulers in true part. but what is saddening is that a doctor whose ambitions are at their peak in university life see real face of society..... Who is culpable in our society,God only knows!
Same doctor, if he gets his degree from AKUH is treated differntly,nobly, than if he has done degree from other insititutes.
an mbbs doctor earns 5 thousand ruppees in rajputana in hyderabad, 12 thousand ruppees for alternate night in karachi, 40000 in multinational company. and 30000 thousand if he opens his shop!! Do u know what it means? we doctors are considered as labours.people buy doctors for low wages. same marxian theory!!!
Therefore, we know that there is surely alot of corruption in beauracy, but your talent is acknowledged. you are rewarded. ur ego , ur motivational demans are met with....
The problem is not as simple to be weaved into straight words mr.preshan gul. rather the causes that force doctors must be faced.
i think, on a larger scale it is with every proffesion. most talented students are either thinking of going to abroad to abandon their countries for good, or they are doing brown studies to pass competitive exams.
Those who are in business, are by far the best , they are satisfied with their business.
but people like u and me, and many other middle and lower middle class are caught in between a very serious predicament.
CSS seems to be our only hope.
prblems of corruption has crept not only in css, but in all fields. therefore it is better to serve in the field where ur talents are also cashed. corruption is a necessary evil in our society.
may God bless u and ur views

Last edited by Mumtaz Hayat Maneka; Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.G.AsgharMemon For This Useful Post:
Faisalmemon (Sunday, May 31, 2009)