View Single Post
Old Wednesday, February 10, 2010
38th CTP (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit  106

Waseem Riaz Khan has a spectacular aura aboutWaseem Riaz Khan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaid_gondal View Post
I think you didn't comprehend the post brother...It was about the new law (yet not approved but is almost complete) that would define the role of Nazims, DCO's and DPO's after these 6 months.

CM and his cabinet would keep the check and they are thorough civilians...

In all well governed countries, police is never given a free ride. It is kept under a check. Last regime tried to give Nazims the power to keep the check . But it failed Because a political figure can't be neutral..He has friends and foes And he has to support them in any case. So Nazims used the power to suppress their opponents, victimization and supporting their corrupt friends.
So DMG is the only option.

Power has never been at the door step of commoners, earlier it was in the hands of aristocrat, elite families of each district,,,, now it would not be with them...

I HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THAT NAZIMS 'LL HANDLE ALL THE DEVELOPMENT STUFF....But their administrative powers would be seized.Because they are never competent enough to handle administrative tasks.

2ndly GOVERNMENT IS NOT REVIVING THE OLD SYSTEM OF 1979, RATHER IT IS TOTALLY NEW SYSTEM, WHICH DO HV SOME CHARACTERISTICS OF 1979 LAW.
Firstly, dear i think i was not responding to your post. I was responding to what Ms. Ayesha was saying. In other words i was commenting on her suggestions.

Secondly, i am surprised to know that CM and his cabinet will have checks and balances on the local govt. In my humble opinion,system of checks and balances should be within district govt.

Thirdly, You have said that in many other countries police is not given free ride.
Well, dear not only police has been given a free ride but they are also equipped with the magistracy powers in many of countries (though these powers are restricted to law and order)

Andd everywhere in the world civil servants are accountable to the elected members of people. You cannot subjugate one before another after they have been recruited on the same merit and criteria.
In other words giving control of police to DMG will destroy the whole local govt system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaid_gondal View Post
yes brother, there is a hell of difference between a CM and Nazim... You need a bit of money to be Nazim but being CM requires much more charisma, acumen and political participation. So CM is never as ordinary as Nazim is..

Secondly CM has a number of experts to guide him in his decisions. That fills all the deficiencies of abilities. We can't even imagine to provide that much experts in a district.
Unfortunately, Karachi city nazim is much more efficient,politically wise and charismatic than our CMs...lolzzz

Infact you are persuming the musharaf's local govt system as actual one (which constitution ensures). In that system, nazims were given chance because of their political affliation so that PMLN and PPP should be kept out and in many cases they were not given chance to work efficiently. You can not consider it the failure of system. It was because the system was not implemented in letter and spirit. If local govt system is implemented in its true spirit, problems can be solved.
Moreover, elections on the party basis is step in the right direction. IN this case parties will not be oblivious from the efficiency of nazims.

And onething more i dont think political leaders will afford scrapping local govt system altogether....

Last edited by Andrew Dufresne; Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Merged