View Single Post
Old Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no. 2638Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,870 Times in 1,441 Posts
Raz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Peerless: but i have a more complex problem to share with you. Federal Urdu University is using a different way of calculating GPA. I do not know what is their scale, but in their system a student getting 75% can have the same GPA as the student getting 71 % marks. This is causing a lot of confusion in my mind.

You are right; it was the basic flaw in GPA system where sheep and goat were counted in the same lot. If candidate Y scored 80% and candidate Z scored 92% in the same subject their grade was same i.e. “A” and as per that grade both the candidates were awarded same Grade points i.e. “4”. In this way the candidate Z could not get benefit of higher percentage by putting in extra effort as compared to candidate Y.
Similarly, a candidate getting 71% will be counted in the same grade i.e. "B" and in the same grade points i.e. "3" with a candidate scoring 75% in the same subject.

In order to solve this anomaly and to provide benefit to the efficient candidates new system has been introduced in University of Sindh Jamshoro which is effective from 2010. In this new GPA system differentiation is made and benefit is given to candidate with higher percentage. Say for example in the same subject candidate Y scored 80% and candidate Z scored 92%, there grade points will be different. Candidate Y will be awarded “4” grade points where as candidate Z will be awarded “4.8” grade points.
Similarly; in your own example candidate getting 71% will be assigned 3.5 grade points and candidate scoring 75% will be assigned 3.7 grade points.

For further convenience go through the following details of my previous post in which I have already discussed this new system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Applicable system in University of Sindh Jamshoro under 2010 announcement:

Quality Point (Q.P)/ Grade Point
The quality point of the performance of a student is obtained by multiplying the numerical value (see table above) of the grade earned by a student with the Credit Hours of that course, e.g., an ‘A’ grade in a course of 3 C.H. would earn 4x3=12 Q.P. and a ‘D’ grade in the same course earns 1x3=3 Q.P/ G.P.
The Academic Council has however resolved that while converting numerical score into appropriate grade, e.g. ‘A’ where score is 87%, the range of grade value corresponding to the percentage score (i.e. 4.4) be reckoned with in future. It implies that, with score of 60 & 78%, both would have been assigned ‘B’ under old rules; however allowing proportionate numerical Grade Value, the two scores be assigned 3.0 and 3.9 grade point respectively thereby allowing the student the benefit of better performance in the later case. This revised system would also be helpful in scoring better G.P.A../ C.G.P.A.
The ready reckoner table for conversion of numerical score into proportionate grade point is reproduced hereunder:-

A Grade...................B Grade...............C Grade.................D Grade
%....Grade Point... %......Grade Point...%.....Grade Point..%.....Grade Point
95-100,,, 5,,,,,,,,,,, 79,,,,,,,,, 3.9,,,,,,,, 59,,,,,,,,, 2.9,,,,,,,, 49,,,,,,,,, 1.9
94,,,,,,,,, 4.9,,,,,,,, 78,,,,,,,,, 3.9,,,,,,,, 58,,,,,,,,, 2.8,,,,,,,, 48,,,,,,,,, 1.8
93,,,,,,,,, 4.8,,,,,,,, 77,,,,,,,,, 3.8,,,,,,,, 57,,,,,,,,, 2.7,,,,,,,, 47,,,,,,,,, 1.7
92,,,,,,,,, 4.8,,,,,,,, 76,,,,,,,,, 3.8,,,,,,,, 56,,,,,,,,, 2.6,,,,,,,, 46,,,,,,,,, 1.6
91,,,,,,,,, 4.7,,,,,,,, 75,,,,,,,,, 3.7,,,,,,,, 55,,,,,,,,, 2.5,,,,,,,, 45,,,,,,,,, 1.5
90,,,,,,,,, 4.6,,,,,,,, 74,,,,,,,,, 3.7,,,,,,,, 54,,,,,,,,, 2.4,,,,,,,, 44,,,,,,,,, 1.4
89,,,,,,,,, 4.6,,,,,,,, 73,,,,,,,,, 3.6,,,,,,,, 53,,,,,,,,, 2.3,,,,,,,, 43,,,,,,,,, 1.3
88,,,,,,,,, 4.5,,,,,,,, 72,,,,,,,,, 3.6,,,,,,,, 52,,,,,,,,, 2.2,,,,,,,, 42,,,,,,,,, 1.2
87,,,,,,,,, 4.4,,,,,,,, 71,,,,,,,,, 3.5,,,,,,,, 51,,,,,,,,, 2.1,,,,,,,, 41,,,,,,,,, 1.1
86,,,,,,,,, 4.4,,,,,,,, 70,,,,,,,,, 3.5,,,,,,,, 50,,,,,,,,, 2.0,,,,,,,, 40,,,,,,,,, 1.0
85,,,,,,,,, 4.3,,,,,,,, 69,,,,,,,,, 3.4
84,,,,,,,,, 4.2,,,,,,,, 68,,,,,,,,, 3.4
83,,,,,,,,, 4.2,,,,,,,, 67,,,,,,,,, 3.3
82,,,,,,,,, 4.1,,,,,,,, 66,,,,,,,,, 3.3
81,,,,,,,,, 4.0,,,,,,,, 65,,,,,,,,, 3.2
80,,,,,,,,, 4.0,,,,,,,, 64,,,,,,,,, 3.2
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 63,,,,,,,,, 3.1
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 62,,,,,,,,, 3.1
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 61,,,,,,,,, 3.0
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 60,,,,,,,,, 3.0

Grade Point Average (G.P.A)
It is an expression for the average performance of the student in the courses he has offered during one or two semesters or at the end of the entire course.
G.P.A.= Sum of all the Quality Points earned /Sum of the Credit Hours of all the courses offered

Calculation : Example
Course #......Credit Hrs......Score....Grade.....Grade Point.....QP......GPA
ENGL 101,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,68%,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,3.4,,,,,,,,,,,,10.2
ARAB 101,,,,,,,,,3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,57%,,,,,,,,C,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,2.7,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1
ZOOL 101,,,,,,,3+1=4,,,,,,,45%,,,,,,,,,,D,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,1.5,,,,,,,,,,,,6.0
COMP 101,,,,,,2+1=3,,,,,,,,80%,,,,,,,,,A,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 4.0,,,,,,,,,,,,12.0
BOTN 101,,,,,,,3+1=4,,,,,,,,50%,,,,,,,C,,,,,,,,,, 2.0,,,,,,,,,,,,8.0
Total,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,17,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,44.3,,,,,2.61
Multiply Grade Point with the Credit Hours in each course, add up the cumulative Grade Points and divide by the Total Number of credit hours to get the G.P.A. per Semester. In the above example the G.P.A. is 44.3 divided by 17= 2.61
Regards
After implementing this new GPA system both the candidates will be awarded with different GPA/CGPA.

Regards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raz For This Useful Post:
charismatic.leader (Wednesday, April 28, 2010), ubaid bangash (Sunday, December 28, 2014)