View Single Post
Old Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough
Post Before it is too late

Before it is too late

PAKISTAN seems to have reached the edge of the precipice. The political rumpus that has erupted in the country in the aftermath of Nawab Akbar Bugti’s killing signals a national crisis of grave proportions. The situation is more serious than it appears. It is not just a clash between political centres of power that we witness today. Akbar Bugti’s killing has spawned a sense of deep alienation among all sections of the Baloch people. They feel that the events of the last few weeks have vindicated the sentiment they had nursed for decades about being discriminated against by the non-Baloch powers who control the province. They are therefore venting their anger against the Pakistan Army. This scenario is reminiscent of the happenings in East Pakistan in 1971 when the Bengalis rose in revolt as one man against those they perceived as their West Pakistani oppressors.

It appears that the Baloch today feel no differently. How else would one interpret the BNP’s decision to quit the Senate, the National Assembly, the provincial assembly and all the local bodies? BNP leader Sardar Mengal’s statement describing this as a fight between the army and the Baloch people also confirms the deep alienation that has set in. It is indeed distressing that this impression should have been created among the Baloch nationalists. But rather than adopting an ostrich-like approach towards this Balochi perception and denying it or condemning it as traitorous, it is important that measures be taken to reassure the Baloch that they are regarded as an integral part of the population of Pakistan. At least quite a preponderant section of civil society in the country has extended its moral and political support to the Baloch struggle for their political and economic rights. It is a positive development that many political parties and leaders of opinion in the other provinces have condemned the Establishment’s approach to Akbar Bugti and the insurgency he led. In this context, the Baloch should feel that they are not alone and isolated. The whole country shares with them their grief and resentment at the government’s military operation that led to the mysterious death of Nawab Akbar Bugti. The latest to lend weight to the chorus of opinion condemning the official policy on Balochistan are some retired army generals who have termed the operation ill-conceived and mishandled.

The time has come to initiate a process of healing wounds. But obviously such a move can only be undertaken after the political-cum-judicial aspects have been taken care of. The ARD and the MMA have demanded that a judicial commission be set up to probe Bugti’s killing. The former ISI chief, General Hameed Gul, has called on the Chief Justice of Pakistan to take suo motu notice of the Kohlu episode. The immediate need is to call a halt to the military operation which is still going on. A dialogue has to be started between various sections of the Baloch population and Islamabad but this will have to be conducted by a civilian leadership. The problem with the army assuming the leading role in any such process is that, given its lack of credibility, it will alienate the Baloch further and divide the country. Hence the civilian government will have to come forward to do this job. Exchanging charges and counter-charges at this point in time will not help matters. But sympathy and acknowledging one’s mistake will.

Reference: Editorial, DAWN. 05/09/2006